Cyprus churches

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of churches in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of monasteries visit: Cyprus monasteries

Cyprus churches map

Displaying 60 churches.

Cyprus churches by location (district)

North of the Kouklia village at a distance of 1-2 kilometres from the village is the chapel of the Agioi Pente Martyres (Five Holly Witnesses). They are Mardarios , Orestis , Avxendios , Evgenios and Evstratios. The Five Holly Witnesses were from Kapadokia who passed from Cyprus , and were tortured for Christianity. Orestis and Evstratios survived the torture while the other three died. Evstratios was very educated, something which could be...
The church of Agios Andronikos is located in Polis – Chrysochous and the Paphos district. It is a one room church with an arch and is a temple of small dimensions. It can be dated back to the 16th century as it decorated with very important iconographies which belong to the Venetian period (1489-1570).The temple of Agios Andronikos was transformed into a mosque during the Turkish occupation, therefore an extra room was added to the north...
Agios Antonios Church is one of the most important Byzantine churches in Cyprus. The church is located at Kellia, in the city of Larnaca and is dated in the 9th century A.D. The church is build based on the byzantine three-aisled vaulted basilica. The Agios Antonios church undergone several restorations and reconstructions. In the interior of the church, significant wall painted are preserved, dating to the 9th, 11th and 13th centuries.Location...
In the centre of the village of Pomos is the church of Agio Evpsihios. According to the Evangelist Mathew, Agios Evpsihios lived and dies during the years of Julian the Offender. The church was constructed during the 20th century. With the passing of time, as the village population was increasing the church urgently need to be extended. Therefore during the middle of the 20th century, the church was extended twice. The shape of the church today...
Agios Georgios Arperas Church can be found in the Tersefanou village in Larnaca near the Angeloktisti Church. The Agios Georgios or Saint George Arperas Church was founded in 1745 by the Dragoman Konstantinos Christofakis. The church is situated outside of Tersefanou village, on the site of the medieval village of Arpera.A fresco in the church present him and all his family offering the Church to Saint George to thank him, according to legend,...
The chapel of Agios Georgios is located in the area of Ha-Potami which is southeast of the Kouklia village. The chapel was built outside the village, on the ruins of Saint Catherine monastery approximately in1930.It was said to be a part of Saint Cahterine of Mount Sina. It is a small and simple chapel with a semicircle roof which can accommodate 100 people. On the outside it is stone built from the stone of the area but whitewashed on the...
The chapel of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni is located on a mountainside, northeast and at a distance of 2-3 kilometres outside Kouklia village. It is said that it was the monastery of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni and that monks used to live in the monastery.During the Turkish Occupation it was destroyed inside and outside and was even used as a barn for animals. Today the only part which is saved is the central. Christians did not have...
The ruins of the Agios Kournouta chapel are in the area of a hill called kandaros in the village of Agrokipia in the Nicosia district. The only remainders from the chapel are rocks scattered all over the hill. Even today the dust from the rocks in the area is miraculous. It must be mentioned that the in the topographic plans of Agrokipia the chapel of the saint is marked on it as well as an area of about two thousand acres which is marked as...
The church of Agios Mamas is located at the south part of the Troodos mountain range, at the village Louvaras at a distance of about 27 kilometres north of the town of Limassol. It is a small church which was built in 1455, according to the inscription on the west wall on top of the entrance which connects the main temple with the splints.The temple was built by the high priest Konstantino, with donations from Ioanni Kromydou and his wife Irene...

Pages

North of the village of Kalavassos in the district of Larnaca and at a distance of about two and a half kilometres is the chapel of Panagia Lambroforousa. The chapel is located very close to the chapel of Archangel Michael. It is also built at a mountain hill. Its roof is tiled and is arched. The chapel is very simple and can accommodate up to ten guests. The chapel is made of stone and it is white washed. The main entrance of the chapel is on...
In the centre of the village of Kalavasos in the Larnaca district, between the stone built traditional houses is where the central church is. The church of Panagia Theotokou I dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is celebrated on the 3rd of September.The church was built in 1892, at the beginning of the 19th century. Architecturally it is built in a cross type. It is a considerable large church and can accommodate up to 300 guests.Externally the...
The Saint George Chapel is located south of Kalavasos in the district of Larnaca about three kilometres distance from the village, on the road towards the Mari village. The chapel is located in a flat area surrounded by wild vegetation. It is a small plain chapel with an arched roof.Its exterior is made of mud and it is whitewashed. The courtyard is paved with concrete and it is fenced with a small wall. It does not have a bell tower. The...
The Saint George Kefala Chapel is located about three kilometres outside the village of Kalavassos in the Larnaca district. It is said that the church is miraculous for headaches which is why the residents in the village named the chapel this way.The chapel was built during the 19th century and architecturally it is made up of one room with an arched rood and roof tiles in the shape of the temple. There isn’t anything in particular to the...

Pages

In the village of Potamiou in the Limassol district there are the ruins of three chapels. One of these chapels was dedicated to Timio Prodromo. At the place where the chapel ones existed, is a prefabricated chapel which is dedicated to the honour of Timio Prodromo.
Timios Stavros church is one of the nine churches of Troodos which are part of the Unesco worldwide natural heritage titled as "Painted churches in the Troodos region". It is part of Unesco mainly for its wall paintings which are on the inside of the church and are exquisite samples of the byzantine art.The form of the church as found today is the result of many different eras of construction operations. As today is the church of the...
To the south of the village of Agios Therapontas  in the Limassol district is a small chapel of byzantine architecture which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary Chrysospiliotissa. The chapel was built in 1928 and many years later it was renovated in both 1982 and 2000 without changing its architecture. According to tradition, the chapel was built in the position of an older temple from which there are no remains left. It is worth mentioning...

Pages

Panagia Podithou Church is situated near the village of Galata, in the mountains of the Troodos range. The Church of Panagia Podithou as well as 9 other byzantine churches of the Troodos range, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List for their significance.The church was built in 1502, funded by Demetre de Coron (captain of the barony of Pentageia) and his wife Helen. It used to be the katholicon of the monastery located in the region...
Panagia tou Araka church is one of the ten byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range that have been granted World Culture Heritage status by UNESCO. The church is located in the centre of the Troodos mountain range, between the villages of Lagoudera and Saranti.As other churches in the region of Troodos, the church of Panagia tou Arakos used to be the katholikon (monastery church) of a monastery complex which was built in the second half...
Panagia tou Moutoulla church is one of the ten churches of the mountain range of Troodos that have been listed as World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO. The monument is located in the valley of Marathasa, on a hill above the village of Moutoulla.The church of Panagia tou Moutoulla was built in 1280 and follows the architectural type of the single-aisled, steep-pitched timber roof, a common in the region of Troodos. The narthex was added later, in...
The Saint George Church was the main church in the community of Pachyammos before the temple of Agios Raphael was built. This temple along with all the other temples in the area were destroyed by the Turks during August in 1964. The fury of the Turks was extreme in particular with this church. The residents tried to fix it temporary. In 1992 with the assistance of the Metropolite of Paphos Chrysostomos B’, the temple was restored.
In the mountains of Troodos, in the centre area of Cyprus are some of the most magnificent monuments of byzantine art. This concerns some iconographies on churches which are saved today and depict various movement of Byzantine and Meta-Byzantine art from the 11th until the 19th century. Ten of these churches have been added onto the list of the UNESCO World Heritage programme. The church of Timios Stavros Ayiasmati is located at the eastern...

Pages

The Holly Temple of Agios Stephanos is located in the Paphos district. In particular there are two temples which ae dedicated to the saint.One of the two, is the most ancient one, built in the 13th century it is located in the village of Pachna. The second one, which is the newest is in the village of Lemba. Both temples celebrate the saint on the 27th of December, and on the 2nd of August.Lemba village is located to the west of Emba village,...
Located in the Kouklia community in Paphos is the Apostolou Louka Church . Kouklia is a community with ancient history where the beautiful Aphrodite lived, and where we have the chance to see the beautiful churches and chapels. Moving towards the centre of the village and amongst the traditional houses, is the central church of Apostle and Saint Louka. About 100 years ago there was an earthquake and the church had many damages. From witnesses we...
Tradition says that many years ago, east of the village of Argaka in the Paphos district and at a distance of about three kilometres there was a chapel dedicated to Agios Asomatos. With the passing of time though the chapel was destroyed. Today there is nothing left in this location apart from the ruins of the chapel and the tradition of the story.
In the town of Paphos as well as the rest of Cyprus, there were many Christian Basilicas of high aesthetics which were built dung the early Byzantine period. Today there are two in Paphos which are maintained, Panagia Chrysopolitissa and Panagia Limeniotissa.Basilica of Panagia Chrysopolitissa The Basilica of Panagia Chrysopolitissa is located at the east part of the town of Paphos. It is the largest Basilica which has been excavated in Cyprus...
To the northwest of the Argaka village in the Paphos district , between the traditional houses is the central church of the village, dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul. According to tradition underneath the church, there was a cave where they buried babies.The apostles Peter and Paul were the doormen of heaven. The church which can be seen today was built on top of this cave, and was dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul. It is...
Panagia Chryseleousa church is situated near the village of Empa, North of Paphos. The current form of the church is the result of the combination of two churches - three - aisled with two domes structure. The eastern part of the monument was first built over the ruins of an early Christian basilica and was used as a cruciform church with a dome in the 12th century.In the 13th century, on the west side was added an extension. This extension...
The village of Pomos honours the Virgin Mary especially. There was also a small monastery in the area which was dedicated to Panagia Chrysopateritissa. About five kilometres from where the village is today is the renovated temple of the Panagia Chysopateritissa monastery. It was built in 1520. Today the church is the only thing left which was renovated recently. There are two versions about the name which was given to the Virgin Mary.The church...
The chapel of Panagia Galatarkas is located the village of Pomos in the Paphos district. It   was constructed during the end of the 20th century. During the earlier years, before the Turkish period, there was a monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The monastery was then destroyed during the Turkish period. Panagia Galatarka cured the pregnant women which suffered by pains or tumours in their breasts. Many young women prayed that...
Panagia Odigitria is a large church in Kouklia village, built in the 12th century (1260). It is worth mentioning that before 1974, Turks and Greeks lived together in the community. According to information, in this area there was an idololatric temple. However it collapsed from an earthquake and in its place today’s temple of the Virgin Mary was built. Around the church, west and north there are still stone arches which shows that there...

Pages