Cyprus churches

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of churches in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of monasteries visit: Cyprus monasteries

Cyprus churches map

Cyprus churches by location (district)

Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis church or Saint Nicholas of the Roof is situated in a central area of the Troodos mountain range, in the upper Solea valley. In 1985 UNESCO inscribed the church on its World Heritage List which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range.Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis is a significant church of Cyprus as is the only katholicon (monastery church) of an 11th century Byzantine monastery, surviving....
The church of Agios Sozomenos is built in the centre of the old village of Galata which belongs to the geographical region of Solea.The temple was constructed and its iconographies were painted in 1513 according to the inscription which is located on the west entrance. Fourteen residents of the village payed for the expenses of the iconographies however two of the people were brothers so they are mentioned as one person from the family. The...
The Holly Temple of Agios Stephanos is located in the Paphos district. In particular there are two temples which ae dedicated to the saint.One of the two, is the most ancient one, built in the 13th century it is located in the village of Pachna. The second one, which is the newest is in the village of Lemba. Both temples celebrate the saint on the 27th of December, and on the 2nd of August.Lemba village is located to the west of Emba village,...
The church of Agiou Lazarou is built on the beach zone of Larnaca and is a worshiping centre of Agiou Lazarou in Cyprus. The relationship of the saint with the apostles on the island was close. After his rising Agios Lazaros fed to Cyprus where he met with Apostles Paul and Varnava who made him an episcope of Kiti. Sources mention that he was buried in a marble Larnaca which had an inscription on it which stated: The four day Lazaros and friend...
The church of Agios Therapon is located in the centre of the village of Agios Therapontas  in the Limassol district. The construction of the church began in 1816 and was completed in 1880. It was officially opened in November 1910 from the Metropolite Meletio.According to tradition, the church of Agiou Theraponda was constructed at the point which the saint had showed on his way through the village. In particular the saint had seen a lit...
Angeloktisti Church is located in the village of Kiti, in Larnaca. It dates back to the 11th century and was erected over the ruins of an earlier Christian basilica dating in the 5th century A.D. This earlier basilica has a semi-circular synthronon which survives, nowadays, in the bema of the Church of Panagia tis Angeloktistis.According to the local tradition, the people of ancient Kition left their city and moved to Kiti in order to escape the...
Located in the Kouklia community in Paphos is the Apostolou Louka Church . Kouklia is a community with ancient history where the beautiful Aphrodite lived, and where we have the chance to see the beautiful churches and chapels. Moving towards the centre of the village and amongst the traditional houses, is the central church of Apostle and Saint Louka. About 100 years ago there was an earthquake and the church had many damages. From witnesses we...
Archangel Michael Chapel is  located to the north of Kalavasos Village in the Larnaca district about half a kilometre distance at the hill of a mountain. It was built around the mid-20th century. Architecturally it is made up of one room and it is an arched roof temple.  The exterior of the temple is made of plinth and is whitewashed. The temple’s courtyard is comfortable, it is concrete paved and there is a low fence from...
Archangel Michael church is in the main part of Cyprus, within the Troodos mountains range, some of the most significant monuments of the history of Byzantine painting have lasted.These are the painted churches which have been preserved and are brilliant samples of numerous developments of Byzantine and post-Byzantine monumental art, from the 11th to the 19th century. Ten of these churches have so far been approved as World Cultural Heritage...

Pages

The chapel of Prophet Elias is located on a hill of the village of Pomos in the Paphos district. Architecturally is belongs to the type of one room churches with a semi curved roof covered with tiles. The chapel was renovated at the end of the 20th century. Every year on the 20th of July which is the day the Saint is celebrated there are a large festival in the village. It must be mentioned that even though the village is located it the Pomos...
The Chapel of Saint George is about three or four kilometres in a forest southeast of the community of Argaka in Paphos. It is said that where the chapel is located was the old village called Eso Makounda. With the passing of time however the chapel was destroyed. It was rebuilt in the same place in 1989 with the help of the villagers. It is built with bricks and whitewashed. It can accommodate about twenty people in it. Its interior does not...

Pages