Cyprus churches

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of churches in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of monasteries visit: Cyprus monasteries

Cyprus churches map

Cyprus churches by location (district)

Tradition says that many years ago, east of the village of Argaka in the Paphos district and at a distance of about three kilometres there was a chapel dedicated to Agios Asomatos. With the passing of time though the chapel was destroyed. Today there is nothing left in this location apart from the ruins of the chapel and the tradition of the story.
In the town of Paphos as well as the rest of Cyprus, there were many Christian Basilicas of high aesthetics which were built dung the early Byzantine period. Today there are two in Paphos which are maintained, Panagia Chrysopolitissa and Panagia Limeniotissa.Basilica of Panagia Chrysopolitissa The Basilica of Panagia Chrysopolitissa is located at the east part of the town of Paphos. It is the largest Basilica which has been excavated in Cyprus...
To the northwest of the Argaka village in the Paphos district , between the traditional houses is the central church of the village, dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul. According to tradition underneath the church, there was a cave where they buried babies.The apostles Peter and Paul were the doormen of heaven. The church which can be seen today was built on top of this cave, and was dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul. It is...
Agios Lazaros church or Saint Lazaros Church is situated in the center of Larnaca and is the primary place of worship of Agios Lazaros in Cyprus. Is dated in the early 10th century and is one of the most significant Byzantine monuments of Cyprus. It was built by the Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in exchange for the transfer of the Saint’s relic to Constantinople.Beneath the church of Saint Lazarus is located the crypt with the tomb of Agios...
Metamorfosis tou Sotiros church (Transfiguration of the Saviour) is situated in the mountain range of Troodos, eastern of the village of Palaichori and is one of the 10 Byzantine monuments of Cyprus that have been granted with the status of World Culture Heritage by UNESCO.The church dates back to the 16th century and belongs to the single-aisled, timber-roof type which is common at Troodos. The church also has a narthex which is a later...
The old church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa was the main church in the village of Agrokipia in the Nicosia district until 1990, when the new church was built. It is built at the northeast part of the community centre.The icons of the church witness that it was built about 1700 and 1750 A.D. It was opened by Mr. Philip who became a monk and died in Agio Oros. There is also the version that the church was opened at the same time it was built.It is...
Panagia Chryseleousa church is situated near the village of Empa, North of Paphos. The current form of the church is the result of the combination of two churches - three - aisled with two domes structure. The eastern part of the monument was first built over the ruins of an early Christian basilica and was used as a cruciform church with a dome in the 12th century.In the 13th century, on the west side was added an extension. This extension...
Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa church can be described as a beautiful medieval church located in the natural environment of Cyprus. The church of Panagias Chrysokourdaliotissa is a part of the Monastery of Panagias Chrysokourdaliotissas.The monastery is situated in Kourdali village, near the well known village Spilia. The church is a three-aisled structure with a steep pitched roof made of flat roof tiles. It was built in the 16th century by the...
The village of Pomos honours the Virgin Mary especially. There was also a small monastery in the area which was dedicated to Panagia Chrysopateritissa. About five kilometres from where the village is today is the renovated temple of the Panagia Chysopateritissa monastery. It was built in 1520. Today the church is the only thing left which was renovated recently. There are two versions about the name which was given to the Virgin Mary.The church...

Pages