Cyprus churches

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of churches in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of monasteries visit: Cyprus monasteries

Cyprus churches map

Cyprus churches by location (district)

Panagia Chrysospiliotissa Church is located in Nicosia, near Dheftera village. It is a cave church of the type of Levantine Monastery or hermitage which is an uncommon type in Cyprus but a characteristic type of ancient Levantine Christianity.The church of Panagia Chrysospiliotissa is built in the natural sandstone cave in which were formed an apse, a nave, narthex and vestries. The church was also decorated with paintings but unfortunately they...
The chapel of Panagia Galatarkas is located the village of Pomos in the Paphos district. It   was constructed during the end of the 20th century. During the earlier years, before the Turkish period, there was a monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The monastery was then destroyed during the Turkish period. Panagia Galatarka cured the pregnant women which suffered by pains or tumours in their breasts. Many young women prayed that...
North of the village of Kalavassos in the district of Larnaca and at a distance of about two and a half kilometres is the chapel of Panagia Lambroforousa. The chapel is located very close to the chapel of Archangel Michael. It is also built at a mountain hill. Its roof is tiled and is arched. The chapel is very simple and can accommodate up to ten guests. The chapel is made of stone and it is white washed. The main entrance of the chapel is on...
Panagia Odigitria is a large church in Kouklia village, built in the 12th century (1260). It is worth mentioning that before 1974, Turks and Greeks lived together in the community. According to information, in this area there was an idololatric temple. However it collapsed from an earthquake and in its place today’s temple of the Virgin Mary was built. Around the church, west and north there are still stone arches which shows that there...
Panagia Podithou Church is situated near the village of Galata, in the mountains of the Troodos range. The Church of Panagia Podithou as well as 9 other byzantine churches of the Troodos range, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List for their significance.The church was built in 1502, funded by Demetre de Coron (captain of the barony of Pentageia) and his wife Helen. It used to be the katholicon of the monastery located in the region...
In the centre of the village of Kalavasos in the Larnaca district, between the stone built traditional houses is where the central church is. The church of Panagia Theotokou I dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is celebrated on the 3rd of September.The church was built in 1892, at the beginning of the 19th century. Architecturally it is built in a cross type. It is a considerable large church and can accommodate up to 300 guests.Externally the...
Panagia tis Amasgou Church is a small Christian monument built in the end of 11th century. Is situated 20 minutes from Limassol, in the valley of Kourris. It is a rectangular vaulted church with arched recesses. The vault is supported by two later transverse ribs. In the interior, the walls are decorated with frescoes some of which are significantly rare. The frescoes are dated to the 12th, 14th and 18th centuries and they are equally...
Panagia tou Araka church is one of the ten byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range that have been granted World Culture Heritage status by UNESCO. The church is located in the centre of the Troodos mountain range, between the villages of Lagoudera and Saranti.As other churches in the region of Troodos, the church of Panagia tou Arakos used to be the katholikon (monastery church) of a monastery complex which was built in the second half...
Panagia tou Moutoulla church is one of the ten churches of the mountain range of Troodos that have been listed as World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO. The monument is located in the valley of Marathasa, on a hill above the village of Moutoulla.The church of Panagia tou Moutoulla was built in 1280 and follows the architectural type of the single-aisled, steep-pitched timber roof, a common in the region of Troodos. The narthex was added later, in...

Pages