Cyprus churches

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of churches in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of monasteries visit: Cyprus monasteries

Cyprus churches map

Displaying 56 churches.

Cyprus churches by location (district)

Agia Christina Church is situated in Limassol, in Germasogeia. The small Church was built during the 12th century and restored in 1996. During the restoration ancient wall paintings, dated back to the 14th and 15th century, were revealed. Agia Christina also houses an ecclesiastic museum.Location: Germasogeia, LimassolAdditional Information- Tel: +357 25 879898
The Royal Chapel of Agia Katerini is located at a small distance from the Nicosia-Limassol Highway at the west end of the village Pyrga.  It is built at a low hill which looks over a smaller river of the River Trimithos.The chapel was built and decorated in 1421/22 according to an inscription which lost today. It must be noted that there is also the possibility that the chapel was dedicated to Το the Pathos of Sotiros. It is a small...
The Agia Marina chapel, the main church of the community is located in the entrance of Potamiou village in the Limassol district. It is a church made of three rooms, in a byzantine type architecture with a hexagonal dome which was constructed during the mid-16th century. In particular, according to the inscription on the south side of the temple it is dated in 1551. The church is built with stone from the surrounding area which as Karouzis...
Agia Paraskevi church is located in the city of Geroskipou in Paphos. The Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi is worldwide recognised as an extremely significant example of Byzantine architecture, dating back to the 9th century A.D. It has been argued that the church stands on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicate to the goddess Aphrodite, however this implication has not been verified.According to Geroskipou traditions, during the ancient...
Agia Solomoni Church is situated just 1 k.m. away from Kato Paphos port and was originally a Christian catacomb and is home to 12th century frescoes. At the entrance of the underground catacombs stands a large pistachio tree that is believed to be sacred. It is believed that if you tie a piece of cloth to one of its branches with honest intentions then you will be cured of your ailments.In ancient times the catacombs were carved in the Fabrica...
To the east of the village of Pomos in the Paphos district   is the chapel of Agia Thekla. It is a simple temple with a semi curved roof covered with tiles. The chapel which exists today is built on older abandoned church. The construction of the church was made due to a donation by Mr. Eftihios Stylianou. The construction work took place between the years 1982 and 1983. The chapel was built by donations from Mr. Matheos Giannii and...
The chapel of Agia Varvara is located at the Argaka village in the Paphos district. It used to operate as a monastery however we do not know exactly when it was built apart from the fact that it operated during the 18th during until 1821. The monastery belonged to the Patriarchy of Jerusalem and it accommodated one priest and two deacons. Today there is nothing saved, apart from the chapel of Agia Varvara. It is said that the chapel was burnt...
Somewhere near the centre is the three part church of the village, dedicated to Agious Anryrous , Kosma and Damiano. The church was built on the base of another smaller church in 1871. The opening of the newest church which is saved today was done during the end of the 19th century in 1893. The carved templo of the temple is of the 19th century. What is especially impressive in this church is an Italian chair of the 16th century. The particular...
North of the Kouklia village at a distance of 1-2 kilometres from the village is the chapel of the Agioi Pente Martyres (Five Holly Witnesses). They are Mardarios , Orestis , Avxendios , Evgenios and Evstratios. The Five Holly Witnesses were from Kapadokia who passed from Cyprus , and were tortured for Christianity. Orestis and Evstratios survived the torture while the other three died. Evstratios was very educated, something which could be...

Pages

The Royal Chapel of Agia Katerini is located at a small distance from the Nicosia-Limassol Highway at the west end of the village Pyrga.  It is built at a low hill which looks over a smaller river of the River Trimithos.The chapel was built and decorated in 1421/22 according to an inscription which lost today. It must be noted that there is also the possibility that the chapel was dedicated to Το the Pathos of Sotiros. It is a small...
Somewhere near the centre is the three part church of the village, dedicated to Agious Anryrous , Kosma and Damiano. The church was built on the base of another smaller church in 1871. The opening of the newest church which is saved today was done during the end of the 19th century in 1893. The carved templo of the temple is of the 19th century. What is especially impressive in this church is an Italian chair of the 16th century. The particular...
Agios Antonios Church is one of the most important Byzantine churches in Cyprus. The church is located at Kellia, in the city of Larnaca and is dated in the 9th century A.D. The church is build based on the byzantine three-aisled vaulted basilica. The Agios Antonios church undergone several restorations and reconstructions. In the interior of the church, significant wall painted are preserved, dating to the 9th, 11th and 13th centuries.Location...
Agios Georgios Arperas Church can be found in the Tersefanou village in Larnaca near the Angeloktisti Church. The Agios Georgios or Saint George Arperas Church was founded in 1745 by the Dragoman Konstantinos Christofakis. The church is situated outside of Tersefanou village, on the site of the medieval village of Arpera.A fresco in the church present him and all his family offering the Church to Saint George to thank him, according to legend,...
The chapel of Agios Nektarios is located in Kalavasos village in the Larnaca district at the location of Agiou Kalogirou. It is located north of the village at a distance of two and half kilometres outside the village. It is small and simple and it can accommodate fifteen guests. Tradition takes us back a few years and recounts how in the same exact position there was a cave and on top of the cave there was the chapel of Agiou Kalogirou. With...
The church of Agiou Lazarou is built on the beach zone of Larnaca and is a worshiping centre of Agiou Lazarou in Cyprus. The relationship of the saint with the apostles on the island was close. After his rising Agios Lazaros fed to Cyprus where he met with Apostles Paul and Varnava who made him an episcope of Kiti. Sources mention that he was buried in a marble Larnaca which had an inscription on it which stated: The four day Lazaros and friend...
Angeloktisti Church is located in the village of Kiti, in Larnaca. It dates back to the 11th century and was erected over the ruins of an earlier Christian basilica dating in the 5th century A.D. This earlier basilica has a semi-circular synthronon which survives, nowadays, in the bema of the Church of Panagia tis Angeloktistis.According to the local tradition, the people of ancient Kition left their city and moved to Kiti in order to escape the...
Archangel Michael Chapel is  located to the north of Kalavasos Village in the Larnaca district about half a kilometre distance at the hill of a mountain. It was built around the mid-20th century. Architecturally it is made up of one room and it is an arched roof temple.  The exterior of the temple is made of plinth and is whitewashed. The temple’s courtyard is comfortable, it is concrete paved and there is a low fence from...
Agios Lazaros church or Saint Lazaros Church is situated in the center of Larnaca and is the primary place of worship of Agios Lazaros in Cyprus. Is dated in the early 10th century and is one of the most significant Byzantine monuments of Cyprus. It was built by the Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in exchange for the transfer of the Saint’s relic to Constantinople.Beneath the church of Saint Lazarus is located the crypt with the tomb of Agios...

Pages

Agia Christina Church is situated in Limassol, in Germasogeia. The small Church was built during the 12th century and restored in 1996. During the restoration ancient wall paintings, dated back to the 14th and 15th century, were revealed. Agia Christina also houses an ecclesiastic museum.Location: Germasogeia, LimassolAdditional Information- Tel: +357 25 879898
The Agia Marina chapel, the main church of the community is located in the entrance of Potamiou village in the Limassol district. It is a church made of three rooms, in a byzantine type architecture with a hexagonal dome which was constructed during the mid-16th century. In particular, according to the inscription on the south side of the temple it is dated in 1551. The church is built with stone from the surrounding area which as Karouzis...
The church of Agios Mamas is located at the south part of the Troodos mountain range, at the village Louvaras at a distance of about 27 kilometres north of the town of Limassol. It is a small church which was built in 1455, according to the inscription on the west wall on top of the entrance which connects the main temple with the splints.The temple was built by the high priest Konstantino, with donations from Ioanni Kromydou and his wife Irene...
To the west side of Potamiou village in the district of Limassol, are the ruins of the chapel dedicated to Agio Mnasona. It is a church of 300 A.D which shows the bold markings of time. The attempts to maintain and restore the chapel began in 2008 by the department of antiquities. The funds for the restoration and maintenance of the chapel came from fundraisers.  According to tradition, the chapel was built at the location where the Saint...
The church of Agios Therapon is located in the centre of the village of Agios Therapontas  in the Limassol district. The construction of the church began in 1816 and was completed in 1880. It was officially opened in November 1910 from the Metropolite Meletio.According to tradition, the church of Agiou Theraponda was constructed at the point which the saint had showed on his way through the village. In particular the saint had seen a lit...
Panagia tis Amasgou Church is a small Christian monument built in the end of 11th century. Is situated 20 minutes from Limassol, in the valley of Kourris. It is a rectangular vaulted church with arched recesses. The vault is supported by two later transverse ribs. In the interior, the walls are decorated with frescoes some of which are significantly rare. The frescoes are dated to the 12th, 14th and 18th centuries and they are equally...
The Panayia of Asinou church is located at the mountains of Troodos, at the centre part of Cyprus. At this church are some of the greatest monuments of Byzantine art. It concerns iconographies in churches which are saved from various phases of the Byzantine and Meta-Byzantine art dated from the 11th until 19th century. Then of these churches have been added to the catalogue of the UNESCO World Heritage Programme.The church of Forviotissa more...
In the village of Potamiou in the Limassol district there are the ruins of three chapels. One of these chapels was dedicated to Timio Prodromo. At the place where the chapel ones existed, is a prefabricated chapel which is dedicated to the honour of Timio Prodromo.
Timios Stavros church is one of the nine churches of Troodos which are part of the Unesco worldwide natural heritage titled as "Painted churches in the Troodos region". It is part of Unesco mainly for its wall paintings which are on the inside of the church and are exquisite samples of the byzantine art.The form of the church as found today is the result of many different eras of construction operations. As today is the church of the...

Pages

Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis church or Saint Nicholas of the Roof is situated in a central area of the Troodos mountain range, in the upper Solea valley. In 1985 UNESCO inscribed the church on its World Heritage List which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range.Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis is a significant church of Cyprus as is the only katholicon (monastery church) of an 11th century Byzantine monastery, surviving....
The church of Agios Sozomenos is built in the centre of the old village of Galata which belongs to the geographical region of Solea.The temple was constructed and its iconographies were painted in 1513 according to the inscription which is located on the west entrance. Fourteen residents of the village payed for the expenses of the iconographies however two of the people were brothers so they are mentioned as one person from the family. The...
Archangel Michael church is in the main part of Cyprus, within the Troodos mountains range, some of the most significant monuments of the history of Byzantine painting have lasted.These are the painted churches which have been preserved and are brilliant samples of numerous developments of Byzantine and post-Byzantine monumental art, from the 11th to the 19th century. Ten of these churches have so far been approved as World Cultural Heritage...
Metamorfosis tou Sotiros church (Transfiguration of the Saviour) is situated in the mountain range of Troodos, eastern of the village of Palaichori and is one of the 10 Byzantine monuments of Cyprus that have been granted with the status of World Culture Heritage by UNESCO.The church dates back to the 16th century and belongs to the single-aisled, timber-roof type which is common at Troodos. The church also has a narthex which is a later...
The old church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa was the main church in the village of Agrokipia in the Nicosia district until 1990, when the new church was built. It is built at the northeast part of the community centre.The icons of the church witness that it was built about 1700 and 1750 A.D. It was opened by Mr. Philip who became a monk and died in Agio Oros. There is also the version that the church was opened at the same time it was built.It is...
Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa church can be described as a beautiful medieval church located in the natural environment of Cyprus. The church of Panagias Chrysokourdaliotissa is a part of the Monastery of Panagias Chrysokourdaliotissas.The monastery is situated in Kourdali village, near the well known village Spilia. The church is a three-aisled structure with a steep pitched roof made of flat roof tiles. It was built in the 16th century by the...
Panagia Chrysospiliotissa Church is located in Nicosia, near Dheftera village. It is a cave church of the type of Levantine Monastery or hermitage which is an uncommon type in Cyprus but a characteristic type of ancient Levantine Christianity.The church of Panagia Chrysospiliotissa is built in the natural sandstone cave in which were formed an apse, a nave, narthex and vestries. The church was also decorated with paintings but unfortunately they...
Panagia Podithou Church is situated near the village of Galata, in the mountains of the Troodos range. The Church of Panagia Podithou as well as 9 other byzantine churches of the Troodos range, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List for their significance.The church was built in 1502, funded by Demetre de Coron (captain of the barony of Pentageia) and his wife Helen. It used to be the katholicon of the monastery located in the region...
Panagia tou Araka church is one of the ten byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range that have been granted World Culture Heritage status by UNESCO. The church is located in the centre of the Troodos mountain range, between the villages of Lagoudera and Saranti.As other churches in the region of Troodos, the church of Panagia tou Arakos used to be the katholikon (monastery church) of a monastery complex which was built in the second half...

Pages

Agia Paraskevi church is located in the city of Geroskipou in Paphos. The Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi is worldwide recognised as an extremely significant example of Byzantine architecture, dating back to the 9th century A.D. It has been argued that the church stands on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicate to the goddess Aphrodite, however this implication has not been verified.According to Geroskipou traditions, during the ancient...
Agia Solomoni Church is situated just 1 k.m. away from Kato Paphos port and was originally a Christian catacomb and is home to 12th century frescoes. At the entrance of the underground catacombs stands a large pistachio tree that is believed to be sacred. It is believed that if you tie a piece of cloth to one of its branches with honest intentions then you will be cured of your ailments.In ancient times the catacombs were carved in the Fabrica...
To the east of the village of Pomos in the Paphos district   is the chapel of Agia Thekla. It is a simple temple with a semi curved roof covered with tiles. The chapel which exists today is built on older abandoned church. The construction of the church was made due to a donation by Mr. Eftihios Stylianou. The construction work took place between the years 1982 and 1983. The chapel was built by donations from Mr. Matheos Giannii and...
The chapel of Agia Varvara is located at the Argaka village in the Paphos district. It used to operate as a monastery however we do not know exactly when it was built apart from the fact that it operated during the 18th during until 1821. The monastery belonged to the Patriarchy of Jerusalem and it accommodated one priest and two deacons. Today there is nothing saved, apart from the chapel of Agia Varvara. It is said that the chapel was burnt...
North of the Kouklia village at a distance of 1-2 kilometres from the village is the chapel of the Agioi Pente Martyres (Five Holly Witnesses). They are Mardarios , Orestis , Avxendios , Evgenios and Evstratios. The Five Holly Witnesses were from Kapadokia who passed from Cyprus , and were tortured for Christianity. Orestis and Evstratios survived the torture while the other three died. Evstratios was very educated, something which could be...
The church of Agios Andronikos is located in Polis – Chrysochous and the Paphos district. It is a one room church with an arch and is a temple of small dimensions. It can be dated back to the 16th century as it decorated with very important iconographies which belong to the Venetian period (1489-1570).The temple of Agios Andronikos was transformed into a mosque during the Turkish occupation, therefore an extra room was added to the north...
In the centre of the village of Pomos is the church of Agio Evpsihios. According to the Evangelist Mathew, Agios Evpsihios lived and dies during the years of Julian the Offender. The church was constructed during the 20th century. With the passing of time, as the village population was increasing the church urgently need to be extended. Therefore during the middle of the 20th century, the church was extended twice. The shape of the church today...
The chapel of Agios Georgios is located in the area of Ha-Potami which is southeast of the Kouklia village. The chapel was built outside the village, on the ruins of Saint Catherine monastery approximately in1930.It was said to be a part of Saint Cahterine of Mount Sina. It is a small and simple chapel with a semicircle roof which can accommodate 100 people. On the outside it is stone built from the stone of the area but whitewashed on the...
The chapel of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni is located on a mountainside, northeast and at a distance of 2-3 kilometres outside Kouklia village. It is said that it was the monastery of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni and that monks used to live in the monastery.During the Turkish Occupation it was destroyed inside and outside and was even used as a barn for animals. Today the only part which is saved is the central. Christians did not have...

Pages