Cyprus monasteries

The principle religion in Cyprus is Orthodoxy. The biggest part of Cyprus population (around 78% of the total population) belong to the Greek Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Turkish – Cypriots (18%) are Muslim. There are also other minorities such as the Maronites and the Armenian Apostolics, Jewish and Roman Catholics which make up about 4%.

The Greek – Orthodox Church unlike the Western Church emphasizes on the resurrection of Jesus rather than his birth and therefore Easter is a much bigger celebration. Even if it recognized the seniority and prestige of the ecumenical patriarch in Constantinople, remains autonomous.

In the Orthodox Church, the most important activity is the liturgy. It recognized seven sacraments: baptism in infancy, followed by confirmation with consecrated oil, penance, the Eucharist, matrimony, ordination, and unction in times of sickness or when near death.

In Cyprus, there are many Churches in each town and village, each one devoted to a different Saint, or to the Virgin Mary. Most people attend Church during festivities such as Christmas, Easter, weddings, christenings, funerals or on Sundays. Apart from the many Churches there are also many monasteries which can be dated thousands of years ago.

Below you can see the full list of monasteries in Cyprus. If you would like to see our full list of churches visit: Cyprus churches

Cyprus monasteries map

Cyprus monasteries by location (district)

The Monastery of Priests or Agia Moni as it is well known as, is located in the Paphos district between the village Statos and the Chrysorogiatissa Monastery. It is built at a beautiful and quiet location away from the noisy everyday life. It is surrounded by a green environment, and the monks find peace there which is a necessity for praying and thinking. The Agia Moni Monastery is considered to be one of the most ancient monasteries in Cyprus...
About two kilometres from Fini, on the road which leads towards Agio Dimitrio, is the monastery of Agion Anargiron, from which the only thing saved today is the church and the wooden roof. As the architecture of the construction shows, there was originally one part of the church but the south wall was demolished and it took the shape it has today.Built at an altitude of about 920 metres at an area which is well known for the wildness of the...
At a distance of a few kilometres from Nicosia is the monastery of Agios Eraclidios. It is built in between the olive trees of the village Politicos, where the ancient town of Tamassos used to be. This town used to be rich because there was a lot of copper.The monastery of the saint is feminine. It is one of the first women monasteries which operated in Cyprus. It began its operation in 1963 with many nuns.When the Apostles Paul and Varnavas...
In the centre of the village of Pomos is the church of Agio Evpsihios. According to the Evangelist Mathew, Agios Evpsihios lived and dies during the years of Julian the Offender. The church was constructed during the 20th century. With the passing of time, as the village population was increasing the church urgently need to be extended. Therefore during the middle of the 20th century, the church was extended twice. The shape of the church today...
Agios Ioannis Lampadistis or Saint John Lampadistis Monastery is located opposite the village of Kalopanayiotis and it is build on the east side of the Setrachos river in the valley of Marathasa. During 1985, Unesco listed the monastery along with eight other chapels that are located on the Troodos range in the world heritage list. The Saint John Lampadistis Monastery is considered as one of the most interesting byzantine sites of Cyprus. The...
Agios Nikolaos Ton Gatonor St. Nicholas of the Cats is considered as being the oldest as well as the first monastery in Cyprus. Agios Nikolaos ton Gaton Monastery is located south each of Akrotiri Salt Lake, on Cape Gata in Limassol. Historically, the monastery dates back to the 14th century and it was abandoned during the 16th century. In the late 1980’s the monastery was re-occupied by Orthodox nuns.According to the tradition, Agios...
The monastery of Agios Panteleimonas is located in the valley of Achera, which is where the name of the monastery got its name from. The monastery is the oldest of the 18th century. This is shown from an inscription which is located on the west entrance of the temple. According to this, in 1770 the temple was renovated. These renovations were considered to be necessary because the temple was ready to collapse, from the old temple there are no...
The Holly monastery of Agios Alamanos in Monagroulli is located at the south of the village beneath the highway of Limassol-Nicosia near the caves of a nearby hillside. The monastery was built in the name of the Witness Georgios Tropeoforos. Local tradition states that in this area the saint Georgios Alamanos once lived. Saint George Alamanos is one of the 300 Alamanous saints which came to Cyrus from Palestine looking for a safe area to live...
The monument is built at a mountain area of the Larnaca district, at the borders of the Vavla village near the river banks of the Maroniou village. The exact date of the foundation is not known. The first witnesses for its existence are dated from the year 1562. During the following centuries we have an abundance of inscriptions in books and other items. In November of 1737, the monk Vasilios Barsky visited the monastery and described the...

Pages

The monument is built at a mountain area of the Larnaca district, at the borders of the Vavla village near the river banks of the Maroniou village. The exact date of the foundation is not known. The first witnesses for its existence are dated from the year 1562. During the following centuries we have an abundance of inscriptions in books and other items. In November of 1737, the monk Vasilios Barsky visited the monastery and described the...
Stavrovouni monastery is situated on the highest point of the mountain of the same name (Stavrovouni), which is in located in Larnaca. This mountain was previously known to be Olympus, however a higher point of the Troodos Mountain has that name today. The Stavrovouni is devoted to the Holy Cross. In Greek Stavrovouni means the mountain of the cross.The monastery of Stavrovouni was established by St. Heleni who was the mother of Constantine the...
About two kilometres from Fini, on the road which leads towards Agio Dimitrio, is the monastery of Agion Anargiron, from which the only thing saved today is the church and the wooden roof. As the architecture of the construction shows, there was originally one part of the church but the south wall was demolished and it took the shape it has today.Built at an altitude of about 920 metres at an area which is well known for the wildness of the...
Agios Nikolaos Ton Gatonor St. Nicholas of the Cats is considered as being the oldest as well as the first monastery in Cyprus. Agios Nikolaos ton Gaton Monastery is located south each of Akrotiri Salt Lake, on Cape Gata in Limassol. Historically, the monastery dates back to the 14th century and it was abandoned during the 16th century. In the late 1980’s the monastery was re-occupied by Orthodox nuns.According to the tradition, Agios...
The Holly monastery of Agios Alamanos in Monagroulli is located at the south of the village beneath the highway of Limassol-Nicosia near the caves of a nearby hillside. The monastery was built in the name of the Witness Georgios Tropeoforos. Local tradition states that in this area the saint Georgios Alamanos once lived. Saint George Alamanos is one of the 300 Alamanous saints which came to Cyrus from Palestine looking for a safe area to live...
The Holly monastery of Trooditissis or just Trooditissa is a men’s Orthodox monastery in Cyprus which belongs to the Orthodox Church of Cyprus. The Holly monastery of Trooditissis has an excellent position in Cyprus monasteries not only for its remarkable natural beauty, but also for its antiquity, its art richness with which it has developed in many occasions.Location It is located in the community of Pano Platres of the Limassol district...
At a distance of a few kilometres from Nicosia is the monastery of Agios Eraclidios. It is built in between the olive trees of the village Politicos, where the ancient town of Tamassos used to be. This town used to be rich because there was a lot of copper.The monastery of the saint is feminine. It is one of the first women monasteries which operated in Cyprus. It began its operation in 1963 with many nuns.When the Apostles Paul and Varnavas...
Agios Ioannis Lampadistis or Saint John Lampadistis Monastery is located opposite the village of Kalopanayiotis and it is build on the east side of the Setrachos river in the valley of Marathasa. During 1985, Unesco listed the monastery along with eight other chapels that are located on the Troodos range in the world heritage list. The Saint John Lampadistis Monastery is considered as one of the most interesting byzantine sites of Cyprus. The...
To the southwest of Analyonta , on a green hill is the monastery of Archangelos Michail. The specific time of its construction is unknown. The existence of the monastery is thought to have during the mid-18th century, especially in 1734 by a Russian traveller, while other witnesses mention that the existence of the monastery has been from the 12th-13th centuries in particular the monastery was said to have been built by ancient highly respected...
The Holy, Royal and Stavropegic Monastery of Kykkos (Greek:Ιερά Μονή Κύκκου), which lies 20 km west of Pedoulas, is one of the richest and best-known monasteries in Cyprus. The monastery is acknowledged under the name of Kykkos or the 'Mother of God of Kykkos”, but it is still unknown where this name derives from.According to one belief, the name 'kykkos' or 'kokkos', is related to the kermes oak (Latin 'quercus...
The Holly Monastery of Macheras is located at Troodos under the Machera Mountain. The Macheras monastery is in the second place of monasteries in Cyprus, due to its past and its riches coming after the Kykkos Monastery. It had very important land around it as well as many houses in Nicosia which were owned by the monastery. During the Turkish occupation, the monastery was even richer, but on the 9th of July 1821 a large part of it was taken by...
The Monastery of Priests or Agia Moni as it is well known as, is located in the Paphos district between the village Statos and the Chrysorogiatissa Monastery. It is built at a beautiful and quiet location away from the noisy everyday life. It is surrounded by a green environment, and the monks find peace there which is a necessity for praying and thinking. The Agia Moni Monastery is considered to be one of the most ancient monasteries in Cyprus...
In the centre of the village of Pomos is the church of Agio Evpsihios. According to the Evangelist Mathew, Agios Evpsihios lived and dies during the years of Julian the Offender. The church was constructed during the 20th century. With the passing of time, as the village population was increasing the church urgently need to be extended. Therefore during the middle of the 20th century, the church was extended twice. The shape of the church today...
Ayios Neophytos Monastery has been founded by the Cypriot writer Neophytos in 1159. He carved his home out of the mountain rock, which has today become a monastery in his name and there beautiful frescoes dating back to Byzantine Empire can be found. The monastery is located in Paphos near Tala and Tsada villages.Today, only a few monks stay in the monastery which has a museum featuring many religious items like manuscripts, holy utensils, old...
The monastery is located at a beautiful location near the Panagia village, west of the Paphos forest. It was founded in 1152 A.D by the monk Ignatios who found the miracle icon of the Virgin Mary in the area of Moulia in Paphos. The miracle icon was said to have been painted by the Evangelist Loukas.Ignatios transferred the icon to the mountain and built the monastery, to which he dedicated to the Virgin Mary Chrysorogiatissa. The monastery...
The village of Pomos honours the Virgin Mary especially. There was also a small monastery in the area which was dedicated to Panagia Chrysopateritissa. About five kilometres from where the village is today is the renovated temple of the Panagia Chysopateritissa monastery. It was built in 1520. Today the church is the only thing left which was renovated recently. There are two versions about the name which was given to the Virgin Mary.The church...
Panagia tou Sinti or Panayia tou Sinti (in Greek: Παναγία του Σίντη ) is a remarkable cultural monument and is located in Pentalia, on the west bank of Xeros River. The date that the monastery was built is not well known but the church belongs to the first half of the 16th century. It is an Orthodox monastery and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.The monastery was in ruins until 1994 when the restoration works started and completed 4 years later....