Arediou is located 21 kilometres southwest of the capital, at the middle of the Nicosia –Palechori road. The village area had residents from the ancient years. This is what the prehistoric site and the tombs of Mycenae, Greek and roman time were found in the area around the village. Karouzis mentions that the village was a feud during the Louisan-venetian period and later according to Forio Voustronio, it was a feud for Joan D’Arras and Sanson De Nores.
According to Georgio Panagi there are the following versions:
The first verision connects the name of the village with the byzantine name Aretios which becomes Aretiou is the general form.
The local tradition connects the name of the village with Areti , the princess from Tamaso who went around the village with her horse. One day as she was riding her horse, she had an accident and lost her life. Some say that she was killed when her horse was shocked and threw her down. Some mention that she drowned in the river when she tried to cross it with her horse.
The population course of the community is increasing. From 1881 until today, the population constantly increases. In 1960, the population of Arediou is made up of 265 Greek Cypriots and 90 Turkish Cypriots. Previously and more specifically in 1985, the Turkish Cypriots completely or partially abandoned the village and were therefore removed from the inventory in 1960. According to Georgios Panayi, the village was inhabited by Turkish Cypriots after the Turkish occupation of 1571 but it is not known when exactly.
An important increase of population was noticed after the Turkish invasion in 1974. Three refugee communities were created, two of which were northwest of Arediou while the other was at its northeast.
According to the details given, the village has 1200 residents in 2007, while there were 1082 in 2001. The population increases during the summer months and usually the population reaches 1400 residents. Arediou has an increasing course which is due to its short distance from Nicosia, the low price of land and the possibility of jobs in the community or near it.
Agios Georgios church
The main church in the village is dedicated to Agios Georgios and is located in the center of the village. It is a one room temple of the 20th century. The dimensions of the church are 11.30m and 26.40m. The templo of the church was constructed in 1945. The church was built in the position of another smaller one which was demolished in order to build the church today. The only remainders from the older church is the templo which is now located in the temple of Agion Iliofoton in the abandoned village of Agioi Iliofotoi as well as an icon of the Virgin Mary and some other tools. Its construction began in 1908 and was completed in 1915.
Its opening ceremony was on the 2nd of May 1921. The people in charge of the creation of the church were priest Paparnavas Hadjipieri and the treasurer Michael Michael while the two builders Nikolas Milopitta and Kosta Hadjipieri are also well known. It is remarkable that all the residents of the village worked every week in order to compete the church. Even women helped by transferring stones.
Panagia Odigitria Church
The church of Panagia Odigitria is located half a kilometre to the east of the village and is dated to the 13th century. According to tradition, the church was built from the ancient ruins of the temple. It is a one room church with a dome which was renovated during the 1980 from the department of antiquities. The dimensions of the church are 6.80 width and 13.20 metres length.
The interior of the temple is decorated with iconographies of the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries as well as the templo of the 17th century. Georgios Panagi writes that on the south wall of the temple there are two layers of iconographies. They are of the Virgin Mary with Jesus Christ and they are dated of the 13th and 14th centuries accordingly while the north wall is decorated with an iconography of Agiou Georgiou of the 15th century. Pieces of the iconographies, mainly of nature are saved on the walls in the temple and on the bottom side of the interior arched wall.
Lastly, it is worth mentioning a series of traditions which are connected with the church of the Virgin Mary Odigitrias. These traditions are recorded by Georgios Panayi. Tradition mentions that the place where the church is located is where the Virgin Mary sat while passing from the village.
Another tradition according to Papapetros Fotiou , is that the king’s daughter usually visited Arediou in order to give sacrifices to the place where the church is located at today.
Additionally a tradition states about the existence of a golden carriage which is buried under the church. If this carriage is sold it can feed all of the Cypriot population for nine years. The first person however who will see the carriage will go blind. Another version of the same tradition mentions that the gold carriage was located between the areas of Lithosouri and Kambos.
According to tradition the eyes of Agiou Georgiou in the iconography look towards the tomb of the church priest. Also during a fire the church was in danger and the lizards brought water from the river Kouti and they put it out.
According to the witness Eleni Georgiou which Papapetros Fotiou has saved, is that a shepherd took his flock into the church courtyard in order to protect it from the rain. One of the sheep went into the church and in its attempt to get out it hit on the candles which then made the church on fire.