The Kyrenia Gate is a gate at the Walls of Nicosia, located in the north Turkish occupied part of Nicosia in Cyprus.

It was the gate which was used for the transportation of goods to the north side of Cyprus, mainly Kyrenia.

The gate was built during 1567 by the Venetians, as a part of the new walls of the town. It was the smallest of the gates , and it was built between the Bastions Gouirini and Barbaro.

It was also known as Porta de Proveditore. In 1821 the Ottomans reconstructed the Gate. They added a looking tower in order to control any Greek rebellions. The added construction was square and had a dome on its roof.

There are three stone plates at the Gate. The first one has the date of construction inscribed on it by the Venetians (MDLXX – 1562), and was placed on top of the arched Gate.

At the same point a second plate was found, which mentions the date 1931 and the initials of the King of England George V.

At this point in time, openings were made in the wall in order to accommodate modern roads in the interior of the town.

A third plate which is smaller has an excerpt from the Koran, written in ancient calligraphy.

Today the Kyrenia Gate is located in the occupied part of Nicosia and operates as a tourist kiosk.

Kyrenia Gate photos: 
kerynia gate
kerynia gate
  • kerynia gate
  • kerynia gate nicosia
  • kyrenia gate cyprus
Kyrenia Gate location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Cyprus Museum

Cyprus Museum which is also known as the Cyprus Archaeological Museum is the largest and oldest archaeological museum in the island. The mus...

Nicosia municipal gardens

The Nicosia municipal gardens can be found at the address: Leoforos Mousieou, South Nicosia, Cyprus. Since Nicosia is not a seaside resort, ...

Academy Picnic Site

The Academy Picnic site is located 6 kilometres from the Nicosia centre, at the National Forest of the Pedagogy Academy. Altitude: 140 me...

Cyprus Cultural Centre

The Cyprus Cultural Centre was created in 2005 by decision of the Cabinet. The Board was appointed by the Republic of Cyprus in 2005 and the...

Cyprus Symphony Orchestra Foundation

From the 1st of January 2007, the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra of Cyprus has been transformed into an independent institute which has taken ove...

Hamit Mandres Village

Hamit Mandres is a mixed Turkish Cypriot village – suburb in the occupied part of the Nicosia district of Cyprus. It borders with the c...

Pages