Panagia Podithou Church is situated near the village of Galata, in the mountains of the Troodos range.

The Church of Panagia Podithou as well as 9 other byzantine churches of the Troodos range, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List for their significance.

The church was built in 1502, funded by Demetre de Coron (captain of the barony of Pentageia) and his wife Helen. It used to be the katholicon of the monastery located in the region which was also called Monastery of Panagia Podithou.

The monastery was in use until early 19th century when as other monasteries in Cyprus, fell into decline and after the events of 1821 was abandoned.

The church follows the single-aisle architecture type with a steep-pitched roof. A portico wad added later, surrounding the three sides of the church and is also sheltered from the roof which is made of flat tiles. In its interior the church is decorated with mural paintings, contemporary with the monument.

In particular, the paintings were made on the apse of the Holy Bema, on the two sides of the western pediment and on parts of the north and south walls. The donor of the church is also depicted as an old man with his wife, offering to the Virgin Mary a miniature model of the church. The style of the wall-paintings reveals characteristics of byzantine and western art (Italian Renaissance), and is known as 'Italobyzantine' style of painting.

Location: Galata, Troodos

Additional Information
- Operating period: All year round
- Tel: +357 22 922 394, +357 96 348 89

Panagia Podithou Church - Galata photos: 
Panagia Podithou church
Panagia Podithou church
  • Panagia Podithou church
  • Panagia Podithou church Cyprus
  • Church of Panagia Podithou
Panagia Podithou Church - Galata video: 
Panagia Podithou Church - Galata location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agios Georgios Perachoritis Chapel, Kakopetria Village

The Agios Georgios Perachoritis Chapel is situated in the village of Kakopetria in the Nicosia district. It is located north of the villages...

Klarios River

Klarios River starts from the northeast slopes of the Troodos Mountain Range and pours into the occupied bay of Morphou. It has a length of ...

Kakopetria Watermills

The Kakopetria Watermills are located in the village of Kakopetria in the Nicosia district. The abundant water in the Karkoti and Garilli Ri...

Church of Metamorphoseos tou Sotiros, Kakopetria

 The Church of Metamorphoseos tou Sotiros is situated in the village of Kakopetria in the Nicosia district. More specifically it is loc...

Kakopetria Olive Mill Museum

The Kakopetria Olive Mill Museum is housed in the courtyard of the Sotiros Church, in the old iconic neighbourhood of Kakopetria in the Nico...

Kakopetria Forest

The Kakopetria Forest is situated in the Kakopetria village, in the Nicosia district. The forest is within the borders of the village and ha...

Pages