The Traditional House of Paralimni is situated in the area of Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is located on Agia Maria Street. It is an old traditional house built during the 19th century facing towards the south. It is made up of two rooms, one smaller room with an arch and a sun room with two arches.

There is a well in the centre of the yard as well as a fence around it. In 2010 it was restored and add a third room was attached to the sunroom, as well as sheds towards the east and the west side of the yard, sanitary facilities and an engine room in the basement.

An attempt to combine the old restored house and the new building additions was made so that the area could operate as an exhibition area. The sun room is made up of two stone built arches and a stone column in the middle. The room with the two areas has a traditional form with the stone arch in the middle, with a window at a high point on the north wall, a door and two windows left and right of the southern wall. The complete north wall as well as half of the east and western walls are fitted with gypsum. The small room has a stone built arch in the middle and one door, it does not have any windows and there is a small area fitted with gypsum at the left part of the entrance. The new room has been added at the entrance of the sunroom, a door and two windows towards the part of the garden. Showcases have also been added on the walls in order to display exhibits. The sheds have been made out of wooden columns and beams.

The traditional items and materials were donated by the Paralimni Municipality. The collection and organisation was based on the creations of the traditional Cypriot art such as items that were used in the everyday life of the residents and their occupations. The exhibits are dated from various years, but most of them can be dated to the middle of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century. One can study the rooms of life and tradition through the particular exhibits. The items are numbered and the details are located in the catalogue. The exhibition has also been divided in various areas for the visitor.

The Traditional House, Paralimni photos: 
paralimni
paralimni
  • paralimni
  • paralimni traditional house
  • paralimni traditional house museum
  • paralimni traditional museum
  • the paralimni traditional house
  • traditional house
  • Traditional House Paralimni
  • traditional museum of paralimni
  • traditional house
The Traditional House, Paralimni location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Deryneia Folkloric Museum

The Deryneia Folkloric Museum is housed in an old traditional house on Dimitri Liperti Street in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos ...

Pavlos Liasides Monument - Deryneia

The Pavlos Liasides Monument  is located in the Deryneia Municipality, in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is situated...

Open Air Museum for Traditional Professions

The Open Air Museum for Traditional Professions is located in the Deryneia Municipality in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is...

Agiou Georgiou Chapel - Deryneia Village

The Agiou Georgiou Chapel is located in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos district. In the situated in the main square of Deryne...

Dimitraki Christodoulou Monument - Deryneia Village

The hero Dimitrakis Christodoulou was killed during the Freedom Fight of EOKA of 1955-1959, in an ambush by the British occupants. He was...

War Memorial - Deryneia Village

The Monument of the Heroically Fallen, Massacred and Missing of 1974 is located in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos district. I...

Pages

Allow Cyprus Island to send you notifications about new content ?