Location: Troodos – Karvounas
Starting Point: On the main road of Karvounas – Troodos square, 1 kilometre before Troodos, 9, 5 kilometres from Karvounas. It ends at the chapel of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis or a visitor can continue until the Kakopetria village.
Length: 9 kilometres (12 kilometres until Kakopetria)
Time: 3 hours (4 hours until Kakopetria)
Difficulty: 3 (Relatively difficult downhill trail)
Points of Interest:
Virgin forest location. It starts from the source of the Karkoti River and goes through the beautiful valley of the river. It passes through the facilities of the closed chrome mine and it ends at Kakopetria. The trail can also pass by the Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis Church (12th century), which has excellent iconographies and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage list (whc.unesco.org). From the area of Agios Nikolaos a visitor can follow the Pedoulas – Kakopetria road for about 3 kilometres in order to end in Kakopetria.
Rules of conduct for Visitors
Visitors of nature trails sites should follow some basic rules of conduct to ensure the least possible harm to the environment but also to ensure the comfort of other guests.
The most important of these rules are the following:
- Keep the area clean. Collect all the rubbish that have emerged and put them in bins. If for any reason there are no bins or if it is full, then take your trash with you. Do not leave plastic bags outside, because they are usually scattered by stray dogs, foxes etc.
- Do not make unnecessary noises, respect the rights of the others for peace and quiet.
- Cutting plants, tree bark harassing nests, damaging the environment are banned by the forestry legislation.
- Park your car in parking lots.
- Use the water with caution. Don't waste it.
- Solicit other guests to obey by the basic rules of conduct.
- If you notice a fire, immediately call the number 1407 (24 hours, toll-free)