Peyia is a suburb in the Paphos district and has been an independent municipality since 1994. The municipality has an extent of 4.552 hectares and is built on a hillside. It is located at an altitude of 200 metres and is 15 kilometres from the centre of Paphos. Peyia borders to the north with Kissonerga, to the east with Akoursos, with Kathikas and Pano Arodes and Kato Arodes to the north .The western part of the administrative area is a beach front. The municipal borders of Peyia also include the small island of Yeronisos.

Name

There are many versions as to how Peyia received its name. The most prevailing versions is considered to be the opinion of Nearchou Kliridi, who believes that it was given this name due to the Venetians. During the Venetian period, the Venetians called the neighbouring port B(a)eyia. It Italian B (a) means bay and this is how the name occurred.

History

The regional area of Peyia has been inhabited since the Copper Age (4000 B.C).  The location in which Peyia is in today was old Akamantida. The ships of the Acheoi reached the shores of Peyia and then they founded a colony. Later on a port operated in Agio Georgio Peyia, which served the needs of ships from Konstantinoupoli.

Population

According to the population inventory that took place in Cyprus, the population of Peyia has increased during the last decades reaching to around 10.000 residents. In 1994 the suburb had expanded so much that Peyia was then declared a municipality.

Sites

The important sites in Peyia are Coral Bay , Laourous beach , Maniki beach , Kafizis and Lara , the Sea caves , Agios Georgios Chapel , Yeronisos , Vrysi ton Pegiotisson , the Agios Gerorgios archaeological area , the Paphos Zoo , Edro Shipwreck III and Avakas Gorge.  

 

Peyia - Paphos photos: 
Peyia - Paphos video: 
Peyia - Paphos location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agios Georgios Chapel (Saint George) - Peyia

The Agios Georgios Chapel is located in the Peyia village, in the Paphos district. More specifically it is situated at the Cape Drepano. ...

Agios Georgios Peyia (Saint George) Archaeological Site

Saint George Peyia is a popular pilgrimage, founded at Cape Drepanon in the Paphos District. Between 1952 and 1955, the department of Antiqu...

Pykni Picnic Site

The Pykni Picnic Site is located on the Peyia-Kathikas road, 3 km from Peyia and 6km from Kathikas , at the national forest of Peyia  i...

Vrysi ton Pegiotisson (Pegiotisson Fountain)

The Vrysi ton Pegiotisson is an attractive construction which became connected with the arcitecture as well as the tradition in the Peyia vi...

Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site

The Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site is located about 13 kilometres northwest of the town of Paphos. The archaeological excavations in t...

Coral Bay

Coral Bay is as the name suggests a bay in the municipality of Peyia 6 km North of the city of Paphos. It is a small bay with golden sand ra...

Pages