The monastery of Agiou Mina is built at a mountain area of the Larnaca district, at the borders of the Vavla village near the river banks of the Maroniou village.

It must also be stated that the exact date of the foundation is not known and the first witnesses for its existence are dated from the year 1562.

During the following centuries we have an abundance of inscriptions in books and other items. In November of 1737, the monk Vasilios Barsky visited the monastery and described the celebration of Agiou Mina which occurs every year. People from various villages and towns come to celebrate this day.

The icon of the saint is said to miraculous and many patients have been cured from illnesses. The catholicon was built in 1754 and is decorated with an interesting wood carved iconostasis. The icon of Agiou Mina is a piece of art of the hagiographer Filaretou.

After many desertions the monastery is turned into a women’s monastery and a group of eight monks from the monastery of Agiou Georgiou Alamanou are settled there. Since then the monastery has prospered. For thirty-five years (1969-204) the archimandrites Leondios Hadjikostas known for his rich religious writing, lead at the monastery.

Agiou Mina Monastery photos: 
Agiou Mina Monastery 1
Agiou Mina Monastery 1
  • Agiou Mina Monastery 1
  • Agiou Mina Monastery 2
Agiou Mina Monastery location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Peristerona Morphou

Peristerona is a village about 32 kilometres west of the Nicosia capital, at the foot of the Troodos mountain range, at the Morphou Valley. ...

Apostle Varnava and Ilariona Church - Peristerona Village

The church of the Apostles Varnava and Ilariona is located in the Peristerona Village in the Nicosia district. Along with the church of A...

Kato Moni Village

According to Nearchos Klirides, the name of the village shows that the area previously had a monastery and that at about 3 kilometers southw...