The Cape Greco National Forest Park which is also known as Cavo Greco, is located in the southeastern part of the island, east of Agia Napa and southeast of Ammochostos.
The basic aims of the park are:
- Protection of the area and all the nature parameters in general.
- The promotion of recreation and tourism with a programmed provision of important facilities.
- The development of endemic prey with the application of intense management measures in specific areas.
The National Forest Park of Cavo Greco has a picnic site, a kiosk, parking areas, a bike path of 4 kilometres length, a nature trail of 16 kilometres and a trail for horses.
Cavos (view point), Sea caves, Agioi Anargyroi Chapel, Konnos Beach, Cyclopes’ Cave.
From a plant point of view this area belongs to the conformation of hard leaves, known as makkia vegetation with the main type being the Juniperus phoenicea. The area has around 400 different types of plants out of which 14 are endemic and another 14 are considered to be rare.
In the area one may meet a variety of mammals such as the fox (Vulpes vulpes), the hare (Lepus europaeus), and the porcupine (Hemiechinus auritus dorothea), a variety of reptiles such as snakes and lizards as well as a large variety of butterflies. In the bird kingdom about 80 different types have been recorded, most of them being endemic.
Information: District Forest Operation of Nicosia, Larnaca, Ammochostos.
Rules of conduct for Visitors
Visitors of picnic and camping sites should follow some basic rules of conduct to ensure the least possible harm to the environment but also to ensure the comfort of other guests.
The most important of these rules are the following:
- Fires permitted only in grills provided. In some picnic areas, such as in Asinou and Athalassa, the lighting of fire is not allowed at all.
- Before leaving the area, make sure the coals that have been used, have extinguished completely, even if you have stored them in the premises that may exist for this purpose.
- The use of wood and the preparation of food from the forest is not allowed. Every visitor must arrange to have the necessary amount of charcoal.
- Keep the area clean. Collect all the rubbish that have emerged and put them in bins. If for any reason there are no bins or if it is full, then take your trash with you. Do not leave plastic bags outside, because they are usually scattered by stray dogs, foxes etc.
- Do not make unnecessary noises, respect the rights of the others for peace and quiet.
- Cutting plants, tree bark harassing nests, damaging the environment are banned by the forestry legislation.
- Park your car in parking lots and not next to the tables.
- Use the water with caution. Don't waste it.
- Solicit other guests to obey by the basic rules of conduct.
If you notice a fire, immediately call the number 1407 (24 hours, toll-free)