The Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa is located in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1711 which is the date inscribed on top of the north gate of the church. The pulpit, the shrine and the iconostasis are dated to the last quarter of the 18th century as the internal inscriptions state.
It is assumed that the church was built in the place of an older one, as the icons that have been saved are older than the church. There is an icon of Saint George dated to the 14th century and an icon of Prodromos of the 16th century. There is also a plank on which the Apostles are painted and was situated on the previous iconostasis. The current iconostasis has a separate icon for each Apostle, whereas during previous years there was a plank with all the Apostles.
The church had a sunroom with arches in its north part and another entrance – a vestibule which led to the gallery located at the northwest part of the church. These were demolished during the beginning of the 1960’s. The bell tower located at the north part of the altar was also demolished during 1964. The community cemetery was also located at the west part of the temple courtyard.
The church operates twice a day during the morning and evening. Baptisms and confessions also take place at the same area.
Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa, Athienou photos:
Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa, Athienou location map: