The Serrachis River is the third largest river in Cyprus, with a length of 55 kilometres. The river begins from the north side of Troodos, and pours into the Morphou Bay in the Nicosia district.

In its course, it connects with other smaller rivers, with the main ones being Merika River, Akaki River (37 kilometres). Peristerona River (35 kilometres) and a little before it pours into the sea with Ovgo River (32 kilometres). In the Katokopia village Serrachis is called Vounaroulias due to the vast amount of rocks in its riverbed.

There are four dams that have been constructed in order to collect the water from Serrachis River. The main dam is the Kalo Chorio Klirou Dam, which is the third largest in Cyprus. This dam has the capacity of 2 million cubic metres of water and has a height of 9 metres. There are three other dams of smaller capacity which were made in 1973 and one recent one which was built in 2007.

According to Christian tradition, the remains of the saints Varnava and Ilariona were found in the river bank of Serrachis River. It is said that the two saints had presented themselves to Leontios a citizen from Solous, and had shown him the place where their remains were.

Serrachis River photos: 
serrachis river
serrachis river
  • serrachis river
  • serrachis river cyprus
Serrachis River location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Lagoudera or Agros - Madari Nature Trail

Location:  Agros – Lagoudera District: Nicosia Starting Point: Route 1:  From Agros: On the bypass road of Agros, at...

Agros - Kato Mylos Nature Trail

Location: Agros District: Limassol Starting Point: Near the Rodon Hotel at Agros (north) Length: 6 kilometres Time: 2 hours hi...

The Olive-mill of the Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos - Agros Village

Traditional Olive Mill In 1930 the Olive mill was transferred from the basement of the all-girls school of Agros, to the traditional hou...

Frangoulidi Museum - Agros Village

The Frangoulidi Museum is situated in the village of Agros , in the Limassol district. The Museum  began its operation in 2004 and is n...

Church of Timiou Prodromou - Agros

The church of Timiou Prodromou was built east of the village of Agros in the Limassol district around 1860. The church was built with the...

Church of Saint Gerasimos

The chapel of Saint Gerasimos was built at the beginning of our century as is located northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol dist...

Pages