Anarita is a village located in the Paphos district, and is located 12 kilometres northeast of Paphos. The village is built at an average altitude of 105 metres above the sea. The bas relief which continues from marine terraces at the northwest, begins to go up at the north, where the altitude reaches 254 metres. The closest beach is located at a distance of 4 kilometres from the village.
In 1881 when the first scientific inventory occurred in Cyprus, there were 195 Christian and Muslim residents and then in 1982 only 329 Greeks. The 7 to 8 Turkish Cypriot families all left in 1963-64 when the intercommunal troubles occurred. The Turkish Cypriots in the neighbouring village had forced them to move to their village, even though the families lived peacefully with the residents and did not want to leave.
The increase of the population in Anarita in 1976 resulted in 420 residents, however the numbers did not increase again.
The Anarita residents being industrious and due to the fertile natural surroundings, managed to become an important agriculture, livestock and dairy village.
The name of the Anarita village is not exactly known. According to Jack C. Goodwin (in Α Toponymy of Cyprus), associates it with anari, the Cypriot cheese. However this simple explanation is not accepted scientifically. The name Anaritis which is mentioned in the liturgy of Saint Onisiforos, is considered to have been made up by the author.
Also another theory about the name coming from the word Anavrizo is also considered to be fake. According to this version, in the olden days many waters ran in the area and the name of the village was Anavrita which through the passing of time became Anarita.