Poli Chrysochous, as it is known in Cyprus or Chrysochou or Poli of Chrysochou known to the rest of the world is a small town and an independent municipality of Cyprus in the Paphos district. It is located in the bay of Chrysochous at the north west of the island, it has an expansion of 1.870 hectares, about 2000 residents and is the smallest municipality in Cyprus. The sights in Polis are the archaeological museum, the museum – culture centre and the baths of Aphrodite.

History

Polis Chrysochous is considered the sequel of the ancient Mario, there are still traces from the Neolithic period. During the medieval age in the area another town called Arsinoe flourished however it was abandoned during the 7th century due to Arab raids. Polis was the head office of the episcope during the medieval ages. It was promoted to a municipality in 882 and is one of the oldest municipalities on the island.

Polis Chrysochous photos: 
Polis Chrysochous video: 
Polis Chrysochous location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Lagoudera or Agros - Madari Nature Trail

Location:  Agros – Lagoudera District: Nicosia Starting Point: Route 1:  From Agros: On the bypass road of Agros, at...

Agros - Kato Mylos Nature Trail

Location: Agros District: Limassol Starting Point: Near the Rodon Hotel at Agros (north) Length: 6 kilometres Time: 2 hours hi...

The Olive-mill of the Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos - Agros Village

Traditional Olive Mill In 1930 the Olive mill was transferred from the basement of the all-girls school of Agros, to the traditional hou...

Frangoulidi Museum - Agros Village

The Frangoulidi Museum is situated in the village of Agros , in the Limassol district. The Museum  began its operation in 2004 and is n...

Church of Timiou Prodromou - Agros

The church of Timiou Prodromou was built east of the village of Agros in the Limassol district around 1860. The church was built with the...

Church of Saint Gerasimos

The chapel of Saint Gerasimos was built at the beginning of our century as is located northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol dist...

Pages