Salamiou is a village in the geographic district of the vineyards of Limassol-Paphos, about 36 kilometers northeast of the town of Paphos.

Salamiou is built at an altitude of about 650 metres and the altitude in the area varies. The altitude near the banks of the Xeros River, increases towards the east and reaches 800 metres about one kilometre to the west. The altitude increases again to about 400 metres near the borders of the village. The area is divided by small rivers of the Xeros and the Diarizos Rivers, which flow in the area and have a direction of east to west.

Salamiou has an annual average rainfall of 625 mm. A variety of vineyards, olive trees m almond trees citrus fruit trees, wheat and a few fruit trees (apple , peach , pear trees ) are cultivated in the area. There are also many uncultivated areas that have been taken over by wild vegetation.

From a transportation point of view, Salamiou neighbours with the village of Mesana to the northeast (about 2 kilometres), with the village of Kelokedara (about 6 kilometres) and with the village of Trachypedoula to the south (about 6 kilometres).

The village existed during the medieval period with the same name. On old maps, it is marked as Salamia. This reinforces the opinion that the name of the village was possibly called Salamina or Salamias during antiquity and related to the famous town.

Florios Voustronios writes the name of the village as Salamiou and provides information about the redistribution of the feuds. During King Jacob’s rein as king of Cyprus in 1460, Salamiou was given to two people, one man named Phillip Semba who also received another two villages, and the Ieronym Salviati. It seems that the feud of Salamiou was given to both of them under the duario status, which meant they were co-owners.

There are also indications that there is an archaeological area in the village, which was inhabited from antiquity. For example, a figurine from the Chalcolithic period was found in the location called Mavri and is on display today at the Cyprus Museum.

According to tradition, the two Apostles Paul and Varnavas went through the village of Salamiou during their first apostolic tour in Cyprus in 45 A.D. If the two apostles did pass from there we must assume that Salamiou was on a roman road network that linked Paphos to Troodos. It is belived that the two apostles stopped at the village and had lunch there. The olive pips from which they ate then grew into olive trees. Descendants of these olive trees still exists in the area, in a semi wild condition and are called the apostle olive trees (αποστολικές ελιές).

Salamiou Village photos: 
agia varvara church
agia varvara church
  • agia varvara church
  • salamiotissis monastery
  • salamiou cinema
  • salamiou
  • salamiou-nature-trail
Salamiou Village video: 
Salamiou Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Armyropigado beach (Scouts beach)

The Armyropigado beach or Scouts beach is located in the Kappari area of Protaras and has a length of 100 metres and a width of 30 metres. ...

Skoutarospyloi Beach

Skoutarospylioi beach is located at the outreach of Kappari Avenue in Protaras, after the Protaras – Cavo Greco roundabout and in particul...

Ayia Triada Beach, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Beach (Αγία Τριάδα) or Trinity Beach as it is called in English, is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochos...

Protaras Ocean Aquarium

The Protaras Ocean Aquarium is located in the area of Protaras in Cyprus. The aquarium is the home to over 1000 species such as piranhas,...

Ayia Triada Fishing Harbour, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Fishing Harbour is situated three kilometres from Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is situated in...

Ayia Triada Chapel, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Chapel or Agios Trias or Trinity Church is situated three kilometres from Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specif...

Pages