The old Aqueduct of Larnaca is located in the Kamares area of the Larnaca district. It was built in 1750 by the Ottoman governor of Larnaca Abou Bekir Pasa. Abou Bekir Pasa was a Turkish Naval Commander who acted as both the governor of Laranaca as well as the governor of the whole island. He was thought to be one of the best governors as he paid from this own money in order to build the aqueduct, so that the town would have clean water.
The Kamares Aqueduct is considered to be the most important construction built in Cyprus during the Ottoman period. The aqueduct operated until 1939 and was formed of 75 arches that transported the water from the Tremithos River to the town of Larnaca.
The Kamares Aqueduct stopped operating in 1939 after it was replaced by modern facilities. Today the area around Kamares has borrowed the name of the old aqueduct. It is a place that is lit up at night and can also be seen from the central road of Larnaca-Limassol.
Kamares Aqueduct - Larnaca photos:
Kamares Aqueduct - Larnaca location map: