The old temple of Panayia - Genniseos tis Theotokou (Birth of Theotokos) is located in the centre of Deryneia , in the Ammochostos district and has great architectural interest.

To begin with the church is small with a Byzantine dome. It was built during the end of the 15th or beginning of the 16th century.

Due to the fact that the residents of the village has increased, the church needed an extension towards the west and towards the south with two new isles.

According to an inscription of the wall it is stated that the project was completed in January 1727.

The interior of the temple is declared with a beautiful wooden carved iconostasis which was made in 1911.

There are ancient icons of the 18th century and possibly even older ones.

Panagia Chapel - Deryneia Village photos: 
panagia church deryneia
panagia church deryneia
  • panagia church deryneia
  • panagia deryneia
Panagia Chapel - Deryneia Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agia Anna Church, Paralimni

The Agia Anna Church is situated in the centre of Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. The original church was smaller in dimension and wa...

Archangelos Michael Church, Paralimni

The Archangelos Michael Church is situated in the area of Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is located towards the...

Agia Marina Church, Paralimni

The Agia Marina Church is located in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The church of Agia Marina was built in 1972. The area w...

The Traditional House, Paralimni

The Traditional House of Paralimni is situated in the area of Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is located on Agia...

Paralimni

Paralimni is the largest municipality of Ammochostos which is the centre of its social, cultural and economic life. It became a municipality...

Sotira

Sotira is a province in the Ammochostos district. Sotira is a beach province and has one blue flag for its beach at Agia Thekla. Sotira is n...

Pages