The Panagia Eleousa Church is located in the village of Liopetri in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is situated in the centre of the village. Eventhough the church is dated to the 16th century, archaeologists have reason to believe that the church is dated even earlier around the 14th century.
The architecture of the church is one arched basilica with a dome and a pointed roof. The construction of the church that exists today was created in four different stages. The first stage that was built was the altar area until the seat of the bishop. The other three additions of the church took place in 1770, 1868 and 1901 accordingly.
The church operates once a year on the 15th of August for the celebration of the Virgin Mary.
Panagia Eleousa Church, Liopetri photos:
Panagia Eleousa Church, Liopetri location map: