The old temple of Panayia - Genniseos tis Theotokou (Birth of Theotokos) is located in the centre of Deryneia , in the Ammochostos district and has great architectural interest.

To begin with the church is small with a Byzantine dome. It was built during the end of the 15th or beginning of the 16th century.

Due to the fact that the residents of the village has increased, the church needed an extension towards the west and towards the south with two new isles.

According to an inscription of the wall it is stated that the project was completed in January 1727.

The interior of the temple is declared with a beautiful wooden carved iconostasis which was made in 1911.

There are ancient icons of the 18th century and possibly even older ones.

Panagia Chapel - Deryneia Village photos: 
panagia church deryneia
panagia church deryneia
  • panagia church deryneia
  • panagia deryneia
Panagia Chapel - Deryneia Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Armyropigado beach (Scouts beach)

The Armyropigado beach or Scouts beach is located in the Kappari area of Protaras and has a length of 100 metres and a width of 30 metres. ...

Skoutarospyloi Beach

Skoutarospylioi beach is located at the outreach of Kappari Avenue in Protaras, after the Protaras – Cavo Greco roundabout and in particul...

Ayia Triada Beach, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Beach (Αγία Τριάδα) or Trinity Beach as it is called in English, is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochos...

Protaras Ocean Aquarium

The Protaras Ocean Aquarium is located in the area of Protaras in Cyprus. The aquarium is the home to over 1000 species such as piranhas,...

Ayia Triada Fishing Harbour, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Fishing Harbour is situated three kilometres from Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is situated in...

Ayia Triada Chapel, Paralimni

The Ayia Triada Chapel or Agios Trias or Trinity Church is situated three kilometres from Paralimni in the Ammochostos district. More specif...

Pages