The Petra Mine is situated in the Kalavasos village in the Larnaca district. It is located about 3 kilometres west of the Asgata village.
The large accumulations of rust in the area show the intense mining activity which existed during antiquity. The reservoir was of 250.000 tone size and its content of 1% copper and 30% sulphur. Its modern mining activity began in 1955. After a five year termination during 1959-1963 its activity continued until 1965 where it was terminated completely. 45.000 tons of metal had been excavated from the mine.