The Lantaria Mine is situated in the Kalavasos village in the Larnaca district. It is located between the Petra and Platies mines and it is the first mine which began modern mining activity in 1937 in Kalavasos.

It is the largest mine in stocks and production of copper mine. The Mavridia mine includes six reservoirs of a total size of 5.750.000 tones. From these the largest is the Mousoulou reservoir which has a size of 2.500.000 tones with an average of 2% copper and 40% sulphur.

This reservoir was discovered in 1964 and was named Mousoulou reservoir in honour of the professor L.Mousoulou who contributed substantially in its discovery. From the beginning of its mining activity in 1937 until its termination in 1978, 3.1 million tons of metal were excavated from the Mavridia mine.

During the same period the total amount of metal exportation in the area reached 2 million tonnes.

Mavridia Mine photos: 
mavridia1.
mavridia1.
  • mavridia1.
  • mavridia2
Mavridia Mine location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa, Athienou

The Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa is located in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1711 which is the date in...

Panagia Chryseleousa Church, Athienou

The Panagia Chryseleousa Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was b...

Agiou Georgiou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Georgiou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built around 1880 as the inscription states...

Agiou Foka Church, Athienou

The Agiou Foka Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. The church is dated at the same era as the Agios Georg...

Kallinikeio Museum – Athienou

The Kallinikeio Museum is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is housed in the Kallinikeio Municipal Hall, along...

Agiou Epifaniou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Epifaniou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1994 at the edge of the village w...