The Paphos Municipal Library was founded in 1946 , by the mayor of Paphos Christodoulo Galatopoulo (1943-1953), whose name was given to the Municipal Library in 2002. The library opened its doors to the public in 1946. Many cultural events took place at the library, including the Palamikes celebrations in honour of the poet Kostis Palamas.
During the 70 years of its operation, the Paphos Municipal Library was enriched with purchases as well as donations of books by great personalities such as Odysseus Elytis, Andy Pernaris and others.
The library contributed to the cultural and spiritual life of Paphos, however it slowly fell into decline. During the end of the year 2000, the Paphos Municipality Board decided to renovate and upgrade it. After Paphos was chosen to be the Cultural Capital of Europe for 2017, the project received great importance.
In January 2015, the Municipality of Paphos began its agreement with the Cyprus Association of Librarians – Information Scientists (CALIS) for the modernisation and reoperation of the public library.
The University of Cyprus, the Technological University of Cyprus, as well as the Open University of Cyprus supported the project. The aim was the promotion and the accessibility of its rich documents.
Today the library owns about 26.000 volumes, amongst them rare editions and historical documents, which form precious material for researchers and scholars. In 2015, the library was transformed into a modern library, which formed a hearth and feeder of the cultural and spiritual life in the Paphos town and district.
Paphos Town Centre ,
28th October Square
Weekdays : 7:30-15:00
Saturdays : Closed
Sundays : Closed
The library is closed during public holidays.