In 1894 the historic monastery of the Great Agros, was destroyed. According to tradition it was built by monks who came from Kizino of Asia Minor during the period of the icon war.
In its place today is the Church of the Virgin Mary Eleousas of Agros. According to the description of the monastery a church –monastery was rebuilt where the iconostasi, the pectoral icons of the 12th century old books and other objects were placed.
In the church, the department of antiquities found architectural remains, as well as samples from the iconographies of the monastery.
Byzantine Church – Museum of the Great Agros Monastery photos:
Byzantine Church – Museum of the Great Agros Monastery location map: