The Paphos Castle or Paphos Fort is located at the Kato Paphos harbour and is considered to be one of the most famous attractions in Paphos. It is built on the ancient wave breaker on the west side.

The Paphos Castle was originally a byzantine fortress which was built in order to protect the port. It is a Frankish tower inside a casing of the Venetian period. After its destruction it was rebuilt by the Ottomans during 1592 A.D, as the relevant inscription stated on top of the entrance of the castle. Older, byzantine fortifications also seem to have existed in the same position.

The remains of the tower which were added during the ottoman reconstruction, belonged to one of the two towers which the Frankish kings built, after the catastrophic earthquake in 1222 A.D.  These two towers were linked together with a wall. The Genovese took over in 1373 A.D and raised the walls. They also altered the castle trench, removing part of the wave breaker that connects the seaside tower with land.

One of the two Frankish towers remained deserted until the end of the 15th century A.D and was then destroyed by an earthquake. Before the ottoman occupation in 1570 A.C, the Venetians blew up both the towers as they chose to defend the AmmochostosNicosiaKyrenia axis. What has been saved today is the ottoman reconstruction of the west Frankish tower and the Venetian additions. At a distance of 50 metres towards the east, are the ruins of the second Frankish tower.

The ground floor is made up of one central room in which various small areas were used as cells during the Turkish occupation. Underneath the ground floor there are two small underground cells in which the longest serving prisoners were kept. On the first floor, the main area was used as a mosque and the rest of the rooms for the accommodation of the small Turkish guard. On the roof of the castle there are twelve ramparts for the cannons. The canons were removed from the castle along with the ottoman administration in 1878.

The Castle of Paphos is built of strong and large stones and the castle is connected to the harbour via an arched bridge. There are very few windows but the view from the top of castle is amazing.

From the beginning of the British occupation, the British colony used the castle as a storage area for salt. In 1935 it was declared as an ancient monument and it considered to be one of the emblem of the Paphos district. Since then the department of antiquities has taken measures to preserve it.

Lastly, many festivals and functions take place In front of the castle, such as the Aphrodite Festival during September. Included in this festival are famous operas from all over the world, directed by famous artists.

Location: Harbour, Kato Paphos

Additional Information
- Tel: +357 26306217
- Open daily: Winter hours (1st November- 31st March): 08.00-17.00
- Open daily: Spring hours (1st April - 31st May): 08.00-18.00
- Open daily: Summer hours (1st June - 31st August): 08.00-19.30
- Open daily: Autumn hours (1st September - 31st October): 08.00 - 18.00
- Entrance: € 2.50

Paphos Castle photos: 
Paphos Castle side view
Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle
  • Castle of Paphos
  • Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle
  • Paphos Castle entrance
  • Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle side view
  • Paphos Castle side view
Paphos Castle video: 
Paphos Castle location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

House of Theseus

The House of Theseus is located in the Paphos Archaeological Park in the Paphos district. It was built during the second half of the 2nd ...

Paphos Byzantine Museum

The Paphos Byzantine Museum is located in the centre of Paphos and was founded by the Metropolite Chrysostomou at the time. It has been h...

Paphos Archaeological Museum

Paphos archaeological museum is a museum which is located in Paphos, on Griva Digenis Street at the town's entrance. Visitors will find a va...

Paphos Ancient Theatre

The Paphos Ancient Theatre, is located at the northeast corner of the ancient city in Paphos diagonally of the port. It was possibly buil...

Agios Nikolaos Chapel, Paphos

The Agiou Nikolaos Chapel or St Nicholas Church is situated in the village of Geroskipou in the Paphos district. More specifically it is loc...

Louis Phaethon Beach Hotel Waterpark

The waterpark is located in the Louis Phaethon Beach Hotel in Paphos. The waterpark is only for hotel guests staying at the particular h...

Pages