The Holy, Royal and Stavropegic Monastery of Kykkos (Greek:Ιερά Μονή Κύκκου), which lies 20 km west of Pedoulas, is one of the richest and best-known monasteries in Cyprus. The monastery is acknowledged under the name of Kykkos or the 'Mother of God of Kykkos”, but it is still unknown where this name derives from.

According to one belief, the name 'kykkos' or 'kokkos', is related to the kermes oak (Latin 'quercus coccifera') which developed in this area a few eras ago. A different account attributed the expression 'kykkos' to a bird whose call 'kik-ko, kik-ko' became the name of the monastery. The Holy Monastery of the Virgin of Kykkos was established around the end of the 11th century by the Byzantine monarch Alexios I Komnenos (1081 - 1118).

Kykkos monastery lies at a height of 1318 meters on the North West face of Troodos Mountains. There are no remainders of the original monastery as it was burned down numerous times. The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III began his ecclesiastical profession there as a monk in 1926. He remained affectionate of the place and returned there countless times. His wish to be buried there occurred after his death in 1977. His tomb lies 3 km west of Kykkos monastery and remains a popular tourist destination.

 

Region:

Troodos

District:

Nicosia

Operating hours:

November - May: 10:00 - 16:00
June - October: 10:00 - 18:00

Phone number:

357 22 942 742

Fax:

357 22 942 384

Entrance Fee:

€5,00 per person

€3,00 for groups

Website:

www.kykkos.org.cy

Kykkos Monastery photos: 
Kykkos Monastery
Kykkos Monastery
  • Kykkos Monastery
  • Kykkos Monastery Cyprus
  • Kykkos Monastery Troodos
  • Monastery of Kykkos
  • Monastery of Kykkos Cyprus
Kykkos Monastery video: 
Kykkos Monastery location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum - Nicosia

The Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum is located in the old town of Nicosia, in the Nicosia district. The museum was founded by Andrea Nikola...

Shacolas Tower - Nicosia

Shacolas tower is the tallest building in the old town of Nicosia and is one of the tallest in the district. The decision to make the 11th f...

Kastelliotissa Medieval Hall

The Kasteliotissa Hall is located in the town of Nicosia and belongs to the Department of Antiquities. Its organisation and management ha...

Pallas Cinema Theatre

The Pallas Cinema Theatre is located in the town of  Nicosia and was bought by the Cypriot government. It has now been renovated and...

Paphos Gate

Paphos Gate was one of the three entrances to the walls which the Venetians built around the town of Nicosia. The road began outside the ...

Hamam Omerye

The Hamam Omerye is located in the Nicosia district and is another true example of the rich culture and variety in Cyprus, a stone project o...

Pages