The Kyrenia Gate is a gate at the Walls of Nicosia, located in the north Turkish occupied part of Nicosia in Cyprus.

It was the gate which was used for the transportation of goods to the north side of Cyprus, mainly Kyrenia.

The gate was built during 1567 by the Venetians, as a part of the new walls of the town. It was the smallest of the gates , and it was built between the Bastions Gouirini and Barbaro.

It was also known as Porta de Proveditore. In 1821 the Ottomans reconstructed the Gate. They added a looking tower in order to control any Greek rebellions. The added construction was square and had a dome on its roof.

There are three stone plates at the Gate. The first one has the date of construction inscribed on it by the Venetians (MDLXX – 1562), and was placed on top of the arched Gate.

At the same point a second plate was found, which mentions the date 1931 and the initials of the King of England George V.

At this point in time, openings were made in the wall in order to accommodate modern roads in the interior of the town.

A third plate which is smaller has an excerpt from the Koran, written in ancient calligraphy.

Today the Kyrenia Gate is located in the occupied part of Nicosia and operates as a tourist kiosk.

Kyrenia Gate photos: 
kerynia gate
kerynia gate
  • kerynia gate
  • kerynia gate nicosia
  • kyrenia gate cyprus
Kyrenia Gate location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Gourri Village

Gourri is a community of the Nicosia District in Nicosia, Cyprus. According to the inventory in 2001 it has 225 residents. History Th...

Agia Eirini

Agia Eirini is a beautiful small village in the Nicosia district and It is built in the southern end and at the same time the tall...

Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum - Nicosia

The Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum is located in the old town of Nicosia, in the Nicosia district. The museum was founded by Andrea Nikola...

Kastelliotissa Medieval Hall

The Kasteliotissa Hall is located in the town of Nicosia and belongs to the Department of Antiquities. Its organisation and management ha...

Pallas Cinema Theatre

The Pallas Cinema Theatre is located in the town of  Nicosia and was bought by the Cypriot government. It has now been renovated and...

Paphos Gate

Paphos Gate was one of the three entrances to the walls which the Venetians built around the town of Nicosia. The road began outside the ...

Pages