The Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site is situated in the Coral Bay area of the Peyia Municipality. The site is also located about 13 kilometres northwest of the town of Paphos.
The archaeological excavations in the area began in 1952 and continued systematically for eight periods from 1979 until 1986. It is a fortified settlement of the Late Bronze Age, built on a small peninsula. It is linked with the permanent settlement of the Achaoi in Cyprus, around 1200 B.C and the following Hellenization of the island. The settlement is protected by two imposing defensive walls, one on the land side and one on the sea side, towards the edge of the peninsula.
Inside the interior of the settlement were many small buildings, possibly houses but also some constructions with architectures that have elements indicating from the Aegean. Two of the buildings include a large room with a fireplace in the centre and other smaller rooms which seem to have been used for storage etc. Some of the buildings show that they had areas with communal rooms for gatherings or the production of food. There are also many indications that metal activity existed in the settlement.
The settlement was violently destroyed by a fire and was reconstructed by the residents themselves. The second phase of the construction was very poor and the settlement was completely abandoned around 1150 B.C.
Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site photos:
Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site location map: