Agia Marina Chapel - Deryneia Village

Error message

  • User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: commerce_line_item. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1156 of /home/eliasdem/cyprusisland.net/includes/bootstrap.inc).
  • User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: commerce_price. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1156 of /home/eliasdem/cyprusisland.net/includes/bootstrap.inc).
  • User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: commerce_customer. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1156 of /home/eliasdem/cyprusisland.net/includes/bootstrap.inc).
  • User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: commerce_product_reference. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1156 of /home/eliasdem/cyprusisland.net/includes/bootstrap.inc).

The Agia Marina Chapel is located in the Deryneia village in the Ammochostos district and it was built with a byzantine architecture with a dome.

Moreover, it was possibly built during the 12th century and it is made up of two chapels of the same size that are connected with joint passages.

It is situated in a remote location in the fields, about three kilometres east of the village of Deryneia, in a small valley which used to look like a small paradise.

There were many almonds trees, fig trees, olive trees and vineyards with a green colour that gave the location a pleasant tone.

It is located in the Dead zone which is controlled by United Nations. Each year, a group of pilgrims is allowed into the Dead zone, which is accompanied by the United Nations army.

Pilgrims from Deryneia and other places in Cyprus go there in order to hear the church ceremony and pray.

Agia Marina is the protector of children. Under the church, is a cave with holy water in which the sick children were bathed in, in order to be cured.

Next to the church is the “palloura” (thorn bush) of Agia Marina.  It’s characteristic and that is has a unique tree shape even though it is a low bush.

Children’s clothes were hung on the tree in order to cure the sick children.

Agia Marina Chapel - Deryneia Village photos: 
agia marina church
agia marina church
  • agia marina church
  • agia marina deryneia
Agia Marina Chapel - Deryneia Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agiou Georgiou Chapel - Deryneia Village

The Agiou Georgiou Chapel is located in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos district. In the situated in the main square of Deryne...

Open Air Museum for Traditional Professions

The Open Air Museum for Traditional Professions is located in the Deryneia Municipality in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is...

Pavlos Liasides Monument - Deryneia

The Pavlos Liasides Monument  is located in the Deryneia Municipality, in the Ammochostos district. More specifically it is situated...

Deryneia Folkloric Museum

The Deryneia Folkloric Museum is housed in an old traditional house on Dimitri Liperti Street in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos ...

Agion Panton Church - Deryneia

The Agion Panton Church is located in the village of Deryneia in the Ammochostos district. It is situated at a close distance from the gr...

Deryneia Strawberry Festival

The name of Deryneia has been linked with the cultivation of strawberries, with the first plantation being cultivated in the village of Dery...

Pages