The Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum is located in the village of Agridia in the Limassol district. It is housed in the Prophet Elias Church in the village.

The items on the display are remarkable and include items of the old Prophet Elias church, from the end of 16th or beginning of the 17th century which was demolished in order to build the new church.

 There are also items from the surrounding chapels such as the Archangel Michael Chapel, Agiou Georgiou Chapel, and Agia Paraskevi Chapel. Unfortunately these chapels do not exist today.

The display items of the Ecclesiastical Museum are the following:

  • The outstanding iconostasis at the end of the 16th and 17th century.
  • The icon of Agia Paraskevi of the 16th century. This icon represented the Church of Cyprus in exhibitions abroad, with the most recent exhibitions in Paris and New York in the 90’s.
  • Silver chalices, the Holy Tray and cherubim of 1878.
  • Ecclesiastical manuscripts and early printed books, one of them printed during the 15th century.
  • Remarkable icons, utensils and vestments

With the construction of the new iconostasis, the old  one was thrown away, and had already been in the courtyard for two years until it was accidentally found. It was collected by an Antiquity Maintainer, Kosta Gerasimou and his team. It was then put back together and was embellished with the rest of the exhibits which were in the church.

On the 22nd of September 1996, the Museum was inaugurated by the Metropolite of Kyrenia. It must be mentioned that the project occurred with the initiative and financing of the Agridia Expatriates Association “Prophet Elias”. The current museum will be housed in a safe museum area along with the Museum of Folk Art in the future.

Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum photos: 
agridia church museum
agridia church museum
  • agridia church museum
  • agridia church museum limassol
  • church museum agridia
Agridia Ecclesiastical Museum location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Church of Timiou Prodromou - Agros

The church of Timiou Prodromou was built east of the village of Agros in the Limassol district around 1860. The church was built with the...

Church of Saint Gerasimos

The chapel of Saint Gerasimos was built at the beginning of our century as is located northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol dist...

Potamitissa Village

Potamitissa is a village in the Limassol District of Cyprus, located 5 km south of Kyperounta. According to the inventory in 2011 Potamitiss...

Timios Stavros Church - Pelendri

Timios Stavros church is located in the village of Pelendri in the Limassol district. It is one of the nine churches of Troodos which are...

Panagia and Chrysosotiros Church - Kyperounta

The church of Panagia and Chrysosotiros is located in the village of Kyperounta in the Limassol district. It is situated in a great envir...

Adventure Mountain Park - Kyperounta

The Adventure Mountain Park is located in the village of Kyperounta  (Limassol district) in the Troodos Mountains. The adventure mou...

Pages