Starting Point: Troodos Square
Length: 14 kilometres
Time: 4-5 hours hiking
Points of Interest:
The nature trail follows a course around Chionistra at an altitude of 1700-1750 metres and passes through thick clusters of black pine trees in Troodos. This is where one of the largest Aoratos tree is located and it is 800 years old. It offers an excellent view towards all the areas of the island. A special interest is presented by the chrome mine which has been out of operating since 1982. The nature trail ends at the Troodos- Prodromos road after 9 kilometers. In order to continue one must cross the main road and walk for about 200 metres towards the forest road of the Chrome Residences towards Agio Nikolao tis Stegis. Then there is a wooden sign with the direction of the nature trail which continues its course parallel to that of the main road ending at the Troodos square. At a distance of 3 kilometers from the starting point there is water fountain with drinkable water.
Rules of conduct for Visitors
Visitors of nature trails sites should follow some basic rules of conduct to ensure the least possible harm to the environment but also to ensure the comfort of other guests.
The most important of these rules are the following:
- Keep the area clean. Collect all the rubbish that have emerged and put them in bins. If for any reason there are no bins or if it is full, then take your trash with you. Do not leave plastic bags outside, because they are usually scattered by stray dogs, foxes etc.
- Do not make unnecessary noises, respect the rights of the others for peace and quiet.
- Cutting plants, tree bark harassing nests, damaging the environment are banned by the forestry legislation.
- Park your car in parking lots.
- Use the water with caution. Don't waste it.
- Solicit other guests to obey by the basic rules of conduct.
- If you notice a fire, immediately call the number 1407 (24 hours, toll-free)
Atalanti Nature Trail photos:
Atalanti Nature Trail location map: