Lazanias is a community in the district of Nicosia in Cyprus. According to the inventory in 2001 it had 33 residents.

History

The foundation and the name of the village are connected with the foundation of the Holly convent of Macheras. In the area there were many small communities. The monks Ignatiou and Procopius suggested that all the small communities join together and that is how the village was created. During the dynasty of the Komninous the village was given the new monastery as a privilege. The holly monastery had assisted with many investments in the area such as in the forest, agriculture livestock industries.

The Louzian invaders (1192-1489) imposed the feud system on the island and stopped the privileges of the monastery. The village was given as a feud to some of the Louzians. The reaction of the Christian orthodox population was so dynamic that the Franks had to kill 13 monks to stop the rebels.

Lazanias Village photos: 
Lazanias Village location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa, Athienou

The Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa is located in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1711 which is the date in...

Panagia Chryseleousa Church, Athienou

The Panagia Chryseleousa Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was b...

Agiou Georgiou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Georgiou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built around 1880 as the inscription states...

Agiou Foka Church, Athienou

The Agiou Foka Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. The church is dated at the same era as the Agios Georg...

Kallinikeio Museum – Athienou

The Kallinikeio Museum is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is housed in the Kallinikeio Municipal Hall, along...

Agiou Epifaniou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Epifaniou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1994 at the edge of the village w...