Geographically the village of Pachyammos belongs to the district of Nicosia. The community of Pachyammos was created after 1931 and it built near the sea. It was previously located at a distance of two miles from where it is built today, due to fear from pirates (mainly from Turkey and Syria) who lurked, stole, and killed in the area.

Village Transfer

There were two areas: The Kolokappi and Halleri. According to the residents of the village before their transfer (prior to 1931), in Kolkappi there were 20-25 families while in Halleri there were about 10-15 families.

In 1932, the English Government expropriated the fields which were located in the forest (Kolokappi and Halleri) in order to protect the forest. They gave the residents a piece of land and 7 pounds in order to build their houses in the area which Pachiammos is located in today. The residents of the fields in Pachiammos were given 3 pounds. The same occurred to the neighbouring villages such as Nea Dimmata and Yialia. In 1937 all the residents from Kolokappi and Halleri were transferred to Pachiammos. The area was filled with thick sand and therefore it was named Pachiammos (thick sand). From a transportation view the village is connected with Pomos at 4kilometres, to Mosfili at 15 kilometres and with Kokkina at 3kilometres. Pachiammos is 40 km from Turkey.

Churches

In Kolikappi there was a church of Saint John which doesn’t exist today but there are attempts for its reconstruction. At Saint John’s is where the resurrection occurred at Easter. The church was well hidden in the mountain in order to be kept secret from the Turks. During the resurrection there was army with guns which searched the area.

In Halleri there was a church of Saint George which still exists today. The church operated on the day of the Saint’s celebration. There is also a Saint George church in the area which Pachiammos is located in today.

Pachyammos photos: 
Pachyammos location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Pachyammos Village Beach

This small and relaxing beach is located in front of the humble port of Pomos, with its traditional boats. It is at a distance and provide p...

Panagia Chrysopateritissa Church

The village of Pomos honours the Virgin Mary especially. There was also a small monastery in the area which was dedicated to Panagia Chrysop...

Agios Evpsihios Church - Pomos Village

In the centre of the village of Pomos is the church of Agios Evpsihios. In Geek the name of this chuch, translates to " Αγιος Ευψύ...

Agia Thekla Church - Pomos

To the east of the village of Pomos in the Paphos district   is the chapel of Agia Thekla. It is a simple temple with a semi curve...

Prophet Elias Chapel - Nea Dimmata

The village of Nea Dimmata is located at the northwest side of the island, in the  Paphos district In a wild bush area, at a hill with ...

Panagia Galatarkas Chapel - Pomos Village

The chapel of Panagia Galatarkas is located the village of Pomos in the Paphos district. The church was constructed during the end ...

Pages