Peristerona is a village about 32 kilometres west of the Nicosia capital, at the foot of the Troodos mountain range, at the Morphou Valley.

It is built to the right side of the Serachi River which has the same name. According to the inventory in 2001 the residents were 2.173. It is mainly an agricultural village which produces citrus trees, fruit, vegetables, olives, wheat and almonds. The name Peristerona comes from the Greek word which means pigeon Due to its geographical position and that the ground is suitable for cultivation, the village has expanded and developed during the last few years. According to the Muslim mosque it is obvious that Turkish Cypriots also lived in Peristerona however the mosque in not in a position to accept pilgrims.

Churches

Next to the river is the temple of Saint Varnava and Ilarion.  The church of the Saints Varnava Ilarion is dated to the 12th century and has five domes in the shape of a cross which is a characteristic only found in one other church on the island. There are also two other villages with the same name in Cyprus, one in the Paphos district and one in Ammochostos.There is also a chapel in the name of Agia Varvara dated back to the 16th century.  

Various

The population according to the inventory in 2001 was 2,173 residents.

It is mainly a farm village which produces citrus trees, fruit, vegetables, olives, wheat and almonds.

The name Peristerona comes from the Greek word peristeri which means pigeon.

There are also two other villages with the same name in Cyprus, one in the Paphos district and one in Ammochostos district.

During the Turkish invasion Peristerona sacrificed 3 dead and 3 missing persons. There is also a monument being built at the entrance of the village in order to commemorate their sacrifice.

 

 

Peristerona Morphou photos: 
Peristerona Morphou location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Lagoudera or Agros - Madari Nature Trail

Location:  Agros – Lagoudera District: Nicosia Starting Point: Route 1:  From Agros: On the bypass road of Agros, at...

Agros - Kato Mylos Nature Trail

Location: Agros District: Limassol Starting Point: Near the Rodon Hotel at Agros (north) Length: 6 kilometres Time: 2 hours hi...

The Olive-mill of the Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos - Agros Village

Traditional Olive Mill In 1930 the Olive mill was transferred from the basement of the all-girls school of Agros, to the traditional hou...

Frangoulidi Museum - Agros Village

The Frangoulidi Museum is situated in the village of Agros , in the Limassol district. The Museum  began its operation in 2004 and is n...

Church of Timiou Prodromou - Agros

The church of Timiou Prodromou was built east of the village of Agros in the Limassol district around 1860. The church was built with the...

Church of Saint Gerasimos

The chapel of Saint Gerasimos was built at the beginning of our century as is located northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol dist...

Pages