The Cyprus Library was official founded in 1987, and was a follow-up of the Cyprus Public Library which was founded in 1927 by the colonial government of Governor Sir Ronald Storrs.
In its collection it has 160.000 volumes of books which cover a large amount of content such as literature, history, religion etc, and 2187 titles of magazines (123 titles with subscriptions and 2.064 titles by donations).
The Library operates in four different buildings (three rented and a proprietary). The Main Building (proprietary) is located at the bastion Davila, next to the Municipal Hall at the Freedom Square, 1011 Nicosia. That is where the Lending Department, the Children’s library, the Magazine Section as well as the National Registration Centres are located.
In the renovated building of the former Faneromeni Library(rented) , which is located near the Church of Panagia Faneromeni , on top of the shops Tsaoushis , Faneromeni 46 , 1011 Nicosia, is the Reading room and reference Department as well as the Cataloguing Department of the library and have been operating since April 2009.
Telephone : 22410171
At the Warehouse Agroti (rented), which is located near the Supermarket Orphanides at Strovolo, on the corner of the Vikela and Kranidioti Avenue , 1300 Nicosia there is a book factory for the books which cannot be stored and other buildings for the maintenance of books and magazines.
At a building opposite of the Church of the Panagia Faneromeni 60-68, 1011 Nicosia (rented), are the management of the library , the Department orders and Receipts, the audio-visual unit and the Research Collections (Cypriot Newspapers from 1883 , the official newspaper of the Republic of Cyprus , Collection of Government Publications , as Annual Reports, Statistical research , Music Collections , Collection of the United Nations , Rare books , Digital Library , Cypriot Bibliography etc.