The church of the Apostles Varnava and Ilariona is located in the Peristerona Village in the Nicosia district.
Along with the church of Agia Paraskevi in Geroskipou, the churches form the only five domed church in Cyprus. The church of Apostles Varnava and Ilariona is dated to the end of the 11th beginning of 12th century. Is possibly replaced an older church in the form of a three room arched roof basilica church.
During an archaeological excavation in 1959, part of a semicircle synthronon was found within the arch, as well as the base of the templo. Part of the north wall of the original temple is maintained today and is linked with the west part of the temple.
The church architecture is basilica with three rooms and has an arched roof. The central room has three domes. At the centre of the side rooms, the semi-circular room is interrupted by a smaller dome that is added on the side of the central dome of the middle room, forming an exterior cross shaped floorplan of the roof. The bell tower of the temple was built during the 19th century.
The older samples of iconographies belong to the 15th and 16th centuries, while the doors of the iconostasis have also been saved and are dated to the 16th century. There is also a gypsum templo of the Middle Byzantine period from the first architectural phase of the temple.
Please contact the coffee shop next door.