The Holly Cross Church is located in the village of Pedoulas in the Nicosia district.
It is the main church of the community. It is built on a plateau and it dominates the village with high proportions and its two bell towers. It belongs to the category or cross domes. The construction began in 1933 and was completed in 1935.
The wooden iconostasis is dated to the post-Byzantine era and there is a variety of difference icons from various eras and various styles. On a special wooden throne is the Palladium which contains a piece of the holly cross.
The wooden cross is silver plated from the 17th century, with scenes from the crucifixion and the other side is dated to the 19th century with Christ on it. According to tradition the holy cross was transferred from Istanbul, on the 1st of August.
The temple is decorated with iconographies of the 20th century. The Platytera was painted in 1959 by the painter Solomonta Fragoullidi. The dome was painted by the monk Kallinikos Stavrovounioti and the rest of the temple was painted by the monk Ignatius during the 80’s.
The existing temple replaced the older wooden temple, which possibly had three rooms. The wooden iconostasis was saves from the old temple, as well as the holy utensils and many icons, including the crucifixion and Christ with the apostles that are on display at the Byzantine Museum of Pedoulas.
The miraculous power of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) is attributed to the miracles expulsion epidemics, mainly the plague. Many years ago, robbers stole the Timios Stavros. When they got the location Gounari the cross became so heavy that they could not love it so they abandoned it. When the temple that exists today was being built, a woman who was carrying stones fell from a great height without getting hurt. The miracle was attributed to the Timios Stavros.