Location: Arakas – Lagoudera – Stavros tou Ayiasmati
Route 1: Panayia tou Araka , Lagoudera
Route 2: Stavros tou Ayiasmati (8 kilometres from Platanistasa)
Length: 7 kilometres
Time: 3 hours hiking
Points of Interest:
The church of Panayia tou Ayiasmati (1192 A.D) and Stavros tou Ayiasmati (1494 B.C) which have excellent iconographies and are included in the UNESCO World Heritage list. In order to open the church of Stavrou tou Ayiasmati special arrangements must be made. The nature trail passes through a forest of pines, vineyards, almond trees and old dry stone walls. The Kionia are at the east of the nature trail, as well as the Morphou Valley, Pentadatkylos , Olympos is located to the west , and Madari is located at the north. The Panayia tou Araka – Stavros tou Ayiasmati Nature Trail is connected with the Lagoudera or Agros – Madari nature trail.
Rules of conduct for Visitors
Visitors of nature trails sites should follow some basic rules of conduct to ensure the least possible harm to the environment but also to ensure the comfort of other guests.
The most important of these rules are the following:
- Keep the area clean. Collect all the rubbish that have emerged and put them in bins. If for any reason there are no bins or if it is full, then take your trash with you. Do not leave plastic bags outside, because they are usually scattered by stray dogs, foxes etc.
- Do not make unnecessary noises, respect the rights of the others for peace and quiet.
- Cutting plants, tree bark harassing nests, damaging the environment are banned by the forestry legislation.
- Park your car in parking lots.
- Use the water with caution. Don't waste it.
- Solicit other guests to obey by the basic rules of conduct.
- If you notice a fire, immediately call the number 1407 (24 hours, toll-free)