Kalo Chorio is a village in the district of Nicosia. It is located 28 kilometres northwest of the capital. According to the inventory in 2011, the village had 427 residents.

History

As the ancient ruins depict, the village existed during ancient times. An important number of ancient tombs from various archaic, classic and roman periods were found in the area. At the location “zithkionas” ruins form the ancient temple and a stone sacrifice area were found. Simos Menardos referred to the village as being given its name to cover up an ancient idololatric name. This occurred during the period of Christianity during 400 A.D while Theodosius A ruled. Many soldiers who stopped at Klirou attacked and ruined the temple. The villagers were scared and therefore welcomed them with olive branches. This eventually brought the village its name Kalo Chorio meaning good village which came from its good villagers.

Kalo Chorio, Nicosia photos: 
Kalo Chorio, Nicosia location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa, Athienou

The Old Church Panagia Chryseleousa is located in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1711 which is the date in...

Panagia Chryseleousa Church, Athienou

The Panagia Chryseleousa Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was b...

Agiou Georgiou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Georgiou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built around 1880 as the inscription states...

Agiou Foka Church, Athienou

The Agiou Foka Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. The church is dated at the same era as the Agios Georg...

Kallinikeio Museum – Athienou

The Kallinikeio Museum is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It is housed in the Kallinikeio Municipal Hall, along...

Agiou Epifaniou Church, Athienou

The Agiou Epifaniou Church is situated in the village of Athienou in the Larnaca district. It was built in 1994 at the edge of the village w...