The Agios Georgios Old Church is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The holy temple of Agios Georgios replaced an older one during the 19th century.

It is located in the centre of Paralimni between the church of Agia Anna (13th century), and the Metropolitan Temple of Agios Georgios which was built during 1963-1966. There is a marble inscription which states that the temple was built in 1859 to replace an older byzantine one, from which some parts were saved and added to the new one. The new church was built in order to accommodate the needs of the increased population of Paralimni.  

The inscription was found during the demolition of various classrooms of the old school next to the church and it was carved on a plaque which was on the exterior of the south wall. Earlier on there was a low wall which surrounded the church area. Next to it was a large field which is still there today.

The iconostasis is made of carved wood which was used during the 19th century and is gold plated. There are five rows from the ground floor until the top with a total height of 7.60 metres and a width of 9 metres. All of the icons are dated from the 19th century.  The bell tower is of the 19th century and was built later. It is located in the same position of the arch on the south wall.

Agios Georgios Old Church, Paralimni photos: 
agios georgios church paralimni
agios georgios church paralimni
  • agios georgios church paralimni
  • agios georgios old church
  • agios georgios paralimni
Agios Georgios Old Church, Paralimni location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Agiou Nektariou Church, Paralimni

The church of Agiou Nektariou is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The church was built in 1992 due to the requ...

Paralimni Lake

Paralimni Lake is located in the eastern part of Cyprus in the Ammochostos district a little outside of Paralimni. It is one of the most...

Agios Dimitrios Church, Paralimni

The Agios Dimitrios Church is situated in the Paralimni area of the Ammochostos district. The church began being built in 1993 and was compl...

Agios Mamas Chapel, Paralimni

The Agios Mamas Chapel is situated in the Paralimni area of the Ammochostos district. It was built in 1930 by Dimitris Kalogiros. Dimitri...

Agios Panteleimonas Chapel, Paralimni

The Agios Panteleimonas Chapel is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The chapel was built in the ruins of two older...

Armyropigado beach (Scouts beach)

The Armyropigado beach or Scouts beach is located in the Kappari area of Protaras and has a length of 100 metres and a width of 30 metres. ...

Pages