Panagia Odigitria is a large church in Kouklia village, built in the 12th century (1260). It is worth mentioning that before 1974, Turks and Greeks lived together in the community.
According to information, in this area there was an idololatric temple. However it collapsed from an earthquake and in its place today’s temple of the Virgin Mary was built. Around the church, west and north there are still stone arches which shows that there may be a possibility of a temple built there.
The temple today is at a small distance of 10-15 metres from the temple of Aphrodite. It is located amongst the village houses. Externally it is built from stone, from the ruins of the temple of Aphrodite. The surrounding area of the church is at a lower level than the ground and the church is even lower.
Internally the temple is richer with icons. On the right is the icon of Saint Theraponda and exactly opposite from that is the icon of the benefactor. Another icon is of hell, another of Pantokratora, a series of prophets, and the 12 apostles.
The iconostasis is simple and made of wood. The icons which are around it decorate the church and give it a rich religiousness. There are two gates, the central one and the other one to the left.
According to information the building seems to be one, however one part is dedicated to Saint Theraponda and the other to Panagia Odigitria. The temple was later extended, another eight metres were built from the centre of the temple and this part was dedicated to Panagia Odigitria.
Lastly, Panagia Odigitria church operates 12 times during the year.