Panagia tou Araka church is one of the ten byzantine churches of the Troodos mountain range that have been granted World Culture Heritage status by UNESCO.

The church is located in the centre of the Troodos mountain range, between the villages of Lagoudera and Saranti in a breathtaking location.

As other churches in the region of Troodos, the church of Panagia tou Arakos used to be the katholikon (monastery church) of a monastery complex which was built in the second half of the 12th century, a time during which monastic life was flourishing in Cyprus. The monastery survived until the 19th century and then has been abandoned.

The church is a single-aisled building with a cross-shaped roof. The steep-pitched roof with flat tiles was added later, during the 14th century. In its interior, all the walls are decorated with paintings. An inscription above the north entrance reveals the name of Leon Afthentis who donated for the decoration of the church in December 1192.

The paintings of the church are significant examples of Comnenian style, dating in the Middle Byzantine period in Cyprus, influenced by the art of Constantinople. Depictions include the Pantocrator, the ultimate symbol of The Day of Judgement, the Angels in medallions, the Prophets, the Annunciation of the Virgin, the Evangelists and others.

Location: Lagoudera, Troodos

Additional Information
- Operating period: All year round
- Operating hours: Daily: 09:00 - 12:00, 14:00 - 17:00
- Tel: +357 99 557 369, +357 96 301 508

Panagia tou Araka Church photos: 
Panagia tou Araka church Lagoudera
Panagia tou Araka church Lagoudera
  • Panagia tou Araka church Lagoudera
  • Panagia tou Arakos
  • Panagia tou Araka church
  • Panagia tou Araka
  • Panagia tou Araka church Troodos
Panagia tou Araka Church video: 
Panagia tou Araka Church location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Church of Timiou Prodromou - Agros

The church of Timiou Prodromou was built east of the village of Agros in the Limassol district around 1860. The church was built with the...

Frangoulidi Museum - Agros Village

The Frangoulidi Museum is situated in the village of Agros , in the Limassol district. The Museum  began its operation in 2004 and is n...

The Olive-mill of the Church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos - Agros Village

Traditional Olive Mill In 1930 the Olive mill was transferred from the basement of the all-girls school of Agros, to the traditional hou...

Byzantine Church – Museum of the Great Agros Monastery

In 1894 the historic monastery of the Great Agros, was destroyed. According to tradition it was built by monks who came from Kizino of Asia ...

Church of Saint Gerasimos

The chapel of Saint Gerasimos was built at the beginning of our century as is located northeast of the village of Agros in the Limassol dist...

Agros - Kato Mylos Nature Trail

Location: Agros District: Limassol Starting Point: Near the Rodon Hotel at Agros (north) Length: 6 kilometres Time: 2 hours hi...

Pages