The Lantaria Mine is situated in the Kalavasos village in the Larnaca district. It is located between the Petra and Platies mines and it is the first mine which began modern mining activity in 1937 in Kalavasos.

It is the largest mine in stocks and production of copper mine. The Mavridia mine includes six reservoirs of a total size of 5.750.000 tones. From these the largest is the Mousoulou reservoir which has a size of 2.500.000 tones with an average of 2% copper and 40% sulphur.

This reservoir was discovered in 1964 and was named Mousoulou reservoir in honour of the professor L.Mousoulou who contributed substantially in its discovery. From the beginning of its mining activity in 1937 until its termination in 1978, 3.1 million tons of metal were excavated from the Mavridia mine.

During the same period the total amount of metal exportation in the area reached 2 million tonnes.

Mavridia Mine photos: 
mavridia1.
mavridia1.
  • mavridia1.
  • mavridia2
Mavridia Mine location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Kalavasos Village

Kalavasos Village is located about 40 kilometres southwest of the town of Larnaca. It is built on the west bank of the Vasiliko River, at an...

Saint George Chapel - Kalavasos

The Saint George Chapel is located south of Kalavasos in the district of Larnaca about three kilometres distance from the village, on the ro...

Saint George Kefala Chapel, Kalavasos Village

The Saint George Kefala Chapel is located about three kilometres outside the village of Kalavasos in the Larnaca district. It is said that t...

Panagia Lambroforousa Chapel

North of the village of Kalavassos in the district of Larnaca and at a distance of about two and a half kilometres is the chapel of Panagia ...

Panagia Theotokou Church (Titiotissa) - Kalavasos

The Panagia Theotokou or Titiotissa Church is situated in the village of Kalavasos , in the Larnaca district. More specifically , the church...

Archangel Michael Chapel - Kalavasos Village

Archangel Michael Chapel is located to the north of Kalavasos Village in the Larnaca district about half a kilometre distance at the hill of...

Pages