Chrysoroyiatissa Monastery is located at a beautiful location near the Panagia village, west of the Paphos forest.

The monastery was founded in 1152 A.D by the monk Ignatios who found the miracle icon of the Virgin Mary in the area of Moulia in Paphos. The miracle icon was said to have been painted by the Evangelist Loukas.

Ignatios transferred the icon to the mountain and built the monastery, to which he dedicated to the Virgin Mary Chrysorogiatissa. The monastery’s buildings are dated from 1770 an have an important collection of icons and treasures. The church is located at the centre of the monastery. The hagiographies which are above the three entrances will impress you. The icon of the Christ and the Virgin Mary which is at the monastery is also considered to have been painted by the Evangelist Loukas. It is also covered with gold and silver.

At the monastery, a centre of protection for byzantine and after byzantine icons as well as other treasures operated there. Recently a byzantine museum was created. In front of the main entrance of the monastery is a café- restaurant with a panoramic view.

Inside the monastery there is a variety of religious icons and treasures on display. One statue that attracts the most attention is that of the Virgin Mary which is made of pure silver. On the 15th August a celebration is held in honor of the Virgin Mary as it is believed on this day she slept but did not wake up. The word death is not used as the ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’ is in deep sleep, but her other senses and organs like her heart and brain are still working.

Opening Hours:
(Daily Open)
Daily:
09:30 - 12:30, 13:30 - 18:30 (May - August)
10:00 - 12:30, 13:30 - 16:00 (September - April)
Entrance:Free
Chrysoroyiatissa Monastery photos: 
Chrysoroyiatissa Monastery video: 
Chrysoroyiatissa Monastery location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Monashilaka Picnic Site

The Monashilaka Picnic Site is located on the Panagia-Kykkos road, 2 kilometers from Panagia in the Paphos district and 40 kilometers from t...

Agia Picnic Site

The Agia Picnic Site is located on the forest road of Panagia- Stavros tis Psokas , 20 kilometres from Panagia and 10 kilometres from Stavro...

Chapel of Agia Varvara - Statos Agios Fotios Village

The Chapel of Agia Varvara is situated in the village of Statos Agios Fotios in the Paphos district. More specifically it is located on a mo...

Chapel of Agiou Zinoviou and Agia Zinovias - Statos Agios Fotios Village

The chapel of Agiou Zinoviou and Agias Zinovias is situated in the village of Statos-Agios Fotios in the Paphos district. More specifical...

Chapel of Saint Fotios and Anikitos

The Saint Fotios and Anikitos Chapel is situated in the village of Statos – Agios Fotios in the Paphos district. More specifically the ...

Saint George Chapel, Statos Agios Fotios

The Saint George Chapel is situated in the village of Statos – Agios Fotios in the Paphos district. It is a very old chapel and there is n...

Pages