Klirou is a village in the district of Nicosia in Cyprus and according to the inventory in 2001, Klirou has about 1.551 residents. It is located at the north side of Troodos, 26 kilometres northwest of Nicosia. The large number of ruins found, denote that the area was habited by after time of Copper, from Arcadian-Cypriots which were Greek migrants.
The name Klirou was founded during the period which Christianity was in transition. Around 392 A.D, Klirou was transformed into an army base and a centre of the spreading of Christianity in the larger region. According to the anti-paganistic law of the time, everyone had to present themselves as Christians to the Klirikous in order to have rights of land ownership and a right on their belongings. From the sentence “we will go to the Klirikous” it slowly began let’s see the Klirous and that is where Klirou got its name from. During this period the temple of Appolo in Mallount Nicosia and Dioniso of Zithkiona were destroyed.
Klirou was an integral part of the ancient Kingdom of Tammasso, as the area is spread with hundreds of tunnels and areas which were used for the processing of metal. According to Stravona in Tammasso there were silver mines in the area of Aetovrisi and Kouloupades. During the Roman ages, the metal industry in Cyprus was under the control of the Roman officials (Procurators). Until the 5th century, Klirou was not the village we know today, but a complex of over 10 villages. Klirou was the industrial centre for the processing of metal in the area. The centre was provided with an underground water supply from the waters of Stavros.
Virgin Mary of Lagni
According to the local version of the myth, around (650-700 A.D) part of the Arab army, who were on a mission to take over the area of Pitsilias, was hit by a terrible hailstorm in the area of Klirou-Fikardou. The military commander with a few soldiers seeked refuge in a small chapel of Lagni. ξωκλήσι του Λάγνη. The heather commander felt the connection of the storm with the holiness of the area made a vow to repair the damage done if the storm stopped. The same source says that this commander not only repaired the chapel but he also visited it very often.
From 1200 until the ruling of the Franks, Klirou was a feud of the Mondolifs. One of the Mondolifs, Simon (1294-1310) was one of the Naite leaders in Cyprus. In 1308 the Pope ordered the arrest of all the Naites on the island. The prince of Tirou Amarliche ruled Cyprus during that period and had stopped his brother Henry ‘B with the help of the Naites and he banished him to Armenia. The Naites suspected Amarliche for the arrests and commanded Simon to kill him. Simon Mondolif, along with trusted people from Klirou, went to the Pentagia Square dressed as stable boys and then disarmed the guards. Simon Mondolif beheaded Amarliche in battle and removed the royal necklace. His comrades also demanded the royal ring and then he cut Amarcliche’s right hand and they took it with them. Due to the services which the Klirites provided Simon with, his mother Laura gave the well-known land of Klirou, Laura to seven families.