Prodromos village (Greek: Πρόδρομος) belongs to the district of Limassol in Cyprus in the geographical region of South Marathasa , about 60 kilometres northwest of the city of Limassol. The number of people living in the village are about 200 hundred but this increases a lot especially during the tourists months. It is always mentioned as Prodromos Limassol in order to distinguish it from Prodromos of Paphos.

Prodromos is situated at the highest altitude of all Cyprus villages, at 1300 to 1540 metres with an average altitude of 1420 metres above sea level. It has a high average of annual rainfall of 922 cm. In the area various species of deciduous and fruit trees are cultivated such as apple, cherry, prune, pear and peach trees. Prodromos is especially known for its excellent quality of apples. However most of the village area is uncultivated due to the fact that a large area of the Troodos Mountain falls in its borderline. The village is ideal for people who seek peace and a quiet environment as it offers a mountainous fresh air, beautiful landscapes and breathtaking views of nature. During the winter season Prodromos is mostly covered in snow.

The village met a continuous residential increase from 1881 to 1946. In 1881 its residents were 200 people which then increased to 240 in 1891, to 282 in 1901, to 317 in 1911, to 331 in 1921, to 436 in 1931 and to 506 in 1946. In 1960 the residents decreased to 484 and then to 416 in 1973. After the Turkish invasion many Greek Cypriot refugees moved to Prodromos which increased the population for a little while, however this number was not kept after 1976. Therefore in 1976 the population of the village was increased to 505 residents, which decreased to 318 in 1982. During the last inventory in 2011 the residents were 123.

Prodromos is characterised by a cold and rainy winter and cool and dry summer. During the winter months, apart from the high rainfall there is also a lot of snow. The snow which usually exceed over a metre, covers the ground for several weeks, with temperatures falling below zero. In 1973 and 1974 the lowest temperature in Prodromos occurred which was -8 degrees Celsius.

Prodromos is actually composed of two settlements, Kato (Lower) Prodromos which the original core of the village was located, and Pano (Upper) Prodromos, which developed across the main road of Prodromos-Platres as well as southwest of Troodos.

The name is holly from the name of Saint John the Prodromos, to whom the church is dedicated to. Also near the village and towards the southwest there was an old monastery of Trikoukia which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

Attractions in Prodromos include the Monastery of Trikoukkia which was built in a wonderful location with magnificent views, enjoy the beauty of nature and the Vereggaria Hotel which was considered to be one of the best tourist resorts in mountains. Lastly, visitors should try the apples of Prodromos which are really famous for their excellent quality.

Attractions in Prodromos

 

veregaria hotel

Vereggaria Hotel

TheVereggaria Hotel was considered as one of the best winter resorts of Cyprus during the 20th century. The Hotel is also known as “the hotel of kings" because it has attracted many famous people. Some of those, who stayed at Vereggaria Hotel were the king of Egypt, Pharouk and Ezer Vaisman the president of Israel.

Churches and Chapels

 

Church of John the precursor

Church of John the precursor

This is the main church of the village and it is dedicated to John the precursor. The church was built in the centre of the Prodromos village. The very first and old church was built during the 13th century at the same place of the current church. The villagers decided to bring it down as it was not well maintained and in 1935 they built the current church in a type of Royal with dome.

 

Monastery of Virgin Mary Trikoukias

Monastery of Virgin Mary Trikoukias

The Monastery of Virgin Mary Trikoukias is located two kilometers from Prodromos village towards Platres in a spectacular natural environment with breathtaking views. The Monastery is also protected and supported by the Ancient department. Tradition says that the name of the monastery comes from Trikoukies which are medlar trees that had three kernels. Another tradition says that the name comes from the tree Kokkonia.

 

Chapel of saint Onoufrios

The Chapel of Saint Onoufrios was built around the 14th century and suffered serious damages from fire. The brother of Makarios B and exarch, demolished the temple to rebuild a school. The primary school still exists and it is well maintained. As an honour to saint Onoufrios, at the front of the school yard a special shrine has been established with the icon of Saint Onoufrios in. The original and dedicated icon of Saint Onoufrios was saved and is kept at the main church of John the Precursor. The celebration day of Saint Onoufrios is at 12th of June and the holy service with the celebration takes place outdoor on the school yard.

Prodromos Village photos: 
Prodromos Village location map: