The Agios Georgios Old Church is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The holy temple of Agios Georgios replaced an older one during the 19th century.

It is located in the centre of Paralimni between the church of Agia Anna (13th century), and the Metropolitan Temple of Agios Georgios which was built during 1963-1966. There is a marble inscription which states that the temple was built in 1859 to replace an older byzantine one, from which some parts were saved and added to the new one. The new church was built in order to accommodate the needs of the increased population of Paralimni.  

The inscription was found during the demolition of various classrooms of the old school next to the church and it was carved on a plaque which was on the exterior of the south wall. Earlier on there was a low wall which surrounded the church area. Next to it was a large field which is still there today.

The iconostasis is made of carved wood which was used during the 19th century and is gold plated. There are five rows from the ground floor until the top with a total height of 7.60 metres and a width of 9 metres. All of the icons are dated from the 19th century.  The bell tower is of the 19th century and was built later. It is located in the same position of the arch on the south wall.

Agios Georgios Old Church, Paralimni photos: 
agios georgios church paralimni
agios georgios church paralimni
  • agios georgios church paralimni
  • agios georgios old church
  • agios georgios paralimni
Agios Georgios Old Church, Paralimni location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Municipal Amphitheatre - Deryneia Village

The municipal amphitheatre of Deryneia is located on Iroon Street, next to the Deryneia Theme Park, in the Deryneia Village.  Moreov...

Cultural Centre of Occupied Famagusta

The Cultural Centre of Occupied Famagusta was built in 1998 on the line of controversy near the Deryneia barricade in the Ammochostos distri...

Panagia Chapel - Deryneia Village

The old temple of Panayia - Genniseos tis Theotokou (Birth of Theotokos) is located in the centre of Deryneia , in the Ammochostos district ...

Sotira

Sotira is a province in the Ammochostos district. Sotira is a beach province and has one blue flag for its beach at Agia Thekla. Sotira is n...

Protaras Ocean Aquarium

The Protaras Ocean Aquarium is located in the area of Protaras in Cyprus. The aquarium is the home to over 1000 species such as piranhas,...

Kapparis Beach

Kapparis Beach is located in the Protaras area of the Famagusta district. It is a very quiet and isolated beach and it is the beac...

Pages